QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Mike Sheron Q & A

-
Sheron's coaching hopes
By Tony Incenzo - The FA.Com


[[Sheron makes no reference to his QPR period!]

Mike Sheron is best known for his goalscoring heroics at Manchester City, among a number of other clubs he made over 500 appearances with, but after suffering from a prolonged injury he has turned his attentions to coaching where he hopes to be just as successful.
We caught up with Mike, who also played for Norwich, Stoke, QPR, Barnsley, Blackpool, Macclesfield and Shrewsbury, in his new role at Warrington. Mike joined the UniBond League Division One side as a player earlier this season but is now concentrating on coaching.N
Now aged 33, he joined Warrington Town of the UniBond League Division One as a player earlier this season but has since decided to concentrate on coaching at the club.
Mike, how's it been going for you at Warrington?
I have been helping out on the coaching side at Warrington for the last year. I'm going through my coaching badges and so I needed a set of lads to work with. I left Shrewsbury Town as a player in the summer and I didn't have a club at the start of this season. So I trained with Crewe Alexandra to try to recover from an injury. Then I needed a few games to see where I was at. I played two matches for Warrington and didn't feel anywhere near what I am used to fitness-wise. I could have taken my time and eventually pushed my fitness, but I have been out of action for a good seven months now and I really do get a buzz from the coaching. That is a side of the game that I want to learn and improve on, so I am going to concentrate on that now and I am grateful to Warrington for giving me the opportunity. They have a good set of lads and so this is a great chance for me to start off and study the trade. You are always learning in football and never too old to learn.
What is the injury you have had?
It is a knee injury and it is like the early stages of arthritis. The physio at Crewe - Matt Ratcliffe - got me fit at the start of the season. So he gave me the option of making the decision about my fitness myself rather than being forced into retirement. It was nice to have the choice rather than being told that I had to pack up playing.
You have always followed Non-League football closely haven't you? Yes, I've had a few friends over the years who have played at different levels. My best mate Adrian Riley used to play for quite a while at St Helens Town, who are the local team from where I am from. He ended up joining Warrington Town when Glenn Walker took over as manager here at the club because they had both played together for St Helens. So I have always taken an interest in the Non-League. I enjoy watching all levels of football.
Having been a professional, do you have to make different allowances when coaching Non-League players?
In a way yes. You have to realise the standard that they are playing at. But I still believe that players can improve if they apply themselves correctly. It doesn't matter how much coaching you get or how fit you are, at the end of the day you have to apply yourself correctly in a match situation otherwise you won't get results. That is important at any level of football. So you do make allowances for the players but you always strive to make them better.
What were the personal highlights of your professional career?
I would have to say playing for England under-21's. After that, being at Manchester City at a time when the Premiership was just starting. Under Peter Reid, we finished in the top 10 three years running. That was a very special period really. Also, going to Stoke City and scoring 34 goals in less than 70 appearances and getting into the play-offs, which was a great time for me personally. I always thought I had a chance of getting into the full England squad, but it wasn't to be. I feel as if I tried my best over my career wherever I went and that is the type of fella I am. And if I can apply that to my coaching, then I am confident I can get the best out of players.
Do you have any business interests away from football?
No I haven't to be honest. I have got a young family and that is very important to me. So what are your future hopes in coaching? I am in the middle of doing my UEFA 'A' license now. That is why I have made the decision to stop playing football myself. The coaching is a big commitment and it is definitely where I want to go. I've only realised that over the last three or four weeks. People tell you to play for as long as you can and I obviously wanted to. But the injury I have had makes it difficult to carry on. So I am hoping to get back into professional football as a coach as quickly as possible. I feel as if I have a great deal to offer and I am very enthusiastic about the game. So it would be interesting to get a few offers from clubs.
http://www.thefa.com/Grassroots/GrassRootsNews/Postings/2006/01/Sheron_interview.htm?WBCMODE=PresentationUnpublished%3fpage

Blog Archive