QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Furlong to Player/Coach Next Season...Other Players to Leave

-
Kilburn Times -Furs to coach the kids
nwl.sport@archant.co.uk 20 April 2006
Paul Furlong will take his first step into coaching next season as part of a major shake-up of the playing staff at Loftus Road.
Furlong's exact role is yet to be defined, but it is thought he will combine the final year of his QPR playing contract with coaching the youth team. It means the veteran striker will escape the close-season cull that could see as many as 15 of the current Rangers squad offloaded once Gary Waddock is confirmed as manager.
But Furlong, who turns 38 in the autumn, was anxious to stress that he is not planning to hang up his boots yet. He told the Times: "Coaching is what they're looking for me to do, it's certainly something that's been spoken about and I'll have to concentrate on getting my coaching badges. "But I've made it quite clear that I'm not finished with playing football and I don't want anyone to think that. When you're finished, you're a long time finished. "I still enjoy playing and when I wake up the day after a game, I'm not full of aches and pains and I still think I've got a bit more to offer. "
I know I can't play football forever, but it's another string to my bow if I can look at coaching as well as playing next season."
The QPR striker - who was Player of the Year last season - first became interested in coaching after helping out with sessions at the Edmonton All Saints B under-11 team where his son plays. But he has endured a frustrating campaign, finding the net just six times and was denied what would have been a winning goal in Monday's rollercoaster 3-2 defeat at Norwich.... http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/content/camden/kilburntimes/sport/story.aspx?brand=KLBTOnline&category=sportfootball&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=sportklbt&itemid=WeED20%20Apr%202006%2011%3A09%3A34%3A373 _________________

Blog Archive