QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Gallen Hopes to Stay at Plymouth...Plymouth Jumped at Signing Gallen

-
This is Plymouth - GALLEN LOOKS FOR PERMANENT DEAL
Striker Kevin Gallen would be keen to secure a long-term deal at Plymouth Argyle.
But the 31-year-old knows he will have to impress the Home Park club during his six-month loan stint to achieve that.
Gallen, who has joined the Pilgrims from Championship rivals Queens Park Rangers, was one of three new loan signings unveiled by the Pilgrims at a press conference in the boardroom on Thursday evening.
The experienced forward was unveiled along with Hungarian duo - international midfielder P??ter Halmosi and central-defender Kriszti??n Tim??r.
All three will remain with Argyle until the end of the season and have been included in the Pilgrims' squad for today's Championship clash away at Norwich City.
However, they are not eligible to play in Argyle's FA Cup third round replay with Peterborough United at Home Park on Tuesday night.
But the new signings will be available for the fourth round tie away to Barnet, if as is hoped, Argyle progress past League Two big spenders Posh.
Gallen has been brought to Home Park by his former boss Ian Holloway for his experience and versatility.
However, Gallen whose contract with QPR runs out in the summer, insisted he had not needed much persuading to agree to join forces once more with Holloway.
He admitted was excited by the challenge of joining Argyle and helping the Pilgrims in the second half of the season and also of kick-starting his career.
The former England under-21 striker jumped at the chance of joining up once again with his former manager Ian Holloway and the Pilgrims coaching staff Des Bulpin, Tim Breacker and Gary Penrice, all of whom he worked with at Loftus Road.
He said: "It's good to be back with Ian Holloway and people I know.
"I'm looking forward to working with them again, I've missed them."
Gallen also said he held the Pilgrims and their supporters in high regard.
"I've been involved in some really, good battles and (Home Park) is always a tough place to come to.
"I've got a lot of respect for the players - they look like an honest, hard-working bunch.
"And the supporters have always got behind the team.
"I remember the first time I played Plymouth at QPR, and being surprised that there were so many away supporters, given the distance of the journey.
"One game up at QPR, in particular, sticks out in my memory.
"It was a 2-2 draw (August 31 2002) and Plymouth had been leading 2-0, but we equalised with a last-gasp goal.
"And then four seasons ago we were both going for promotion and fortunately we both went up.
"So, yes I've enjoyed my battles with Plymouth over the years."
Gallen said that while he has been employed both in midfield and in attack by Holloway in the past, he had not discussed specific roles with his new/old manager.
"To be fair, I haven't really talked about it yet, so we'll have to wait and see," said Gallen.
"But I'm here to play games and help Ollie and help myself, really.
"It's been a bit of an up and down season for me, so I'm really looking forward to working with people here, without the politics and stuff that was going on at QPR - which basically made me want to leave."
Hammersith-born Gallen admitted that making the switch from the capital to Plymouth would not be easy.
"It's going to be different for me as Plymouth is a long way and a lot different from what I'm used to.
"But my parents are from Ireland and spent months of the year there.
"So I've been to places which are lot quieter than here.
"Plymouth is not an outpost as far as I'm concerned.
"Plymouth are in the Championship and ahead of the team I was at, in the league."
Gallen insisted that Holloway did not have to work hard to persuade him to join Argyle for the rest of the season.
"Basically, he asked me (Wednesday night) 'do you want to come' and I said 'yes'.
"So, here I am, it's as simple as that, really.
"When you come away to play at Plymouth, you know you're going to be in a game.
"There's a good atmosphere - but (Home Park) can be quite hostile as every decision that doesn't go Plymouth's way will be contested (by the supporters).
"I see Plymouth as a team on the up - I thought that when the team were promoted that they could go on to do better things.
"And also as Plymouth are the only big team in this part of the country, they have a massive catchment area and also massive potential.
"Hopefully, I'll be part of the club for a while.
It just depends on how I perform on the pitch.
"I'm not going to say 'I'm going to do this or do that'.
"Given a run in the team, I've no doubt that I can do a good job here.
"So, I've just got to go out and prove it.
"I'm here until the end of the season - then we'll see what happens after that.


"Hopefully, I can do what I should be able to do."

Aside from one season with Huddersfield Town (2000-1) and four months at Barnsley (2001), Gallen has spent his career with the west London outfit.

He was persuaded to return for a second stint at the Loftus Road club by Holloway in November 2001 - almost nine years after starting out as a trainee with the Rs.
Gallen, in spite of having to overcome knee and hamstring injuries, has made 413 league appearances for the three clubs and has scored 97 times for Queens Park Rangers.
He has played 18 times for Rangers this term, mostly in a midfield role, and scored one goal...
This is Plymouth

This is Plymouth- STAPLETON ADMITS ARGYLE JUMPED AT THE CHANCE OF SIGNING QPR MAN
Chairman Paul Stapleton admitted Argyle 'jumped at the chance' to sign 31-year-old striker Kevin Gallen on loan from Queens Park Rangers.Stapleton did not need any reminding about the ability of the former QPR captain because he witnessed Gallen scoring two goals in a 3-0 win against Argyle at Loftus Road in November, 2003.
That emphatic victory by QPR - then managed by current Pilgrims' boss Ian Holloway - put them top of the Division Two table above Argyle.
Talking about Gallen's loan move, Stapleton said: "It all happened very quickly.
"Kevin and the manager (Holloway) and various people were talking and the opportunity came for Plymouth Argyle to have Kevin down here for the rest of the season.

"To be fair, we jumped at the chance because I remember Kevin Gallen scoring against us when we lost up at Loftus Road.
"He has been a name we have recognised and admired from afar for a long time.
"We just felt with the amount of injuries and suspensions that are happening at this football club at the minute that we needed to strengthen in terms of experience and a goalscorer, so we are pleased we have got Kevin with us."...
." This is Plymouth

From The Sun:
KEVIN GALLEN is ready to repay Plymouth boss Ian Holloway for saving him from the QPR madhouse.
The striker, 31, has joined his old manager at Argyle on loan until the end of the season.
The move ends a 14-year love affair with Rangers, who are now bossed by John Gregory.
Gallen, who faces Norwich today, said: “I can sense that this is a club with honesty. That is important because I have been at a club where it has been all politics.
“I hope I can show the form and play the way I did under Ollie when he was at QPR.” The Sun

Blog Archive