QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Danny Shittu Q & A - Including several re QPR

-
Several Part Q&A with Danny Shittu on Watford's Official Site. Obviously much of the material and questions are focused on Watford.

Excerpt: "Q - How did you get spotted for QPR?"

A - I was at Charlton when I was 18 and I went to Blackpool on loan - they tried to buy me but I didn't want to go there.
So I went back to Charlton and I was playing in the reserves.
I was a bit unhappy about that so I asked if I could go out on loan again and I think Ian Holloway came and saw me at a reserve game and he gave me a chance and took me on.
I went on loan for a couple of months and QPR wanted me there permanently.
I said to Charlton that I would rather go there than play in the reserves. I really liked it down at QPR - it proved to be a move that I definitely don't regret. QPR played a really good part in my life and I really enjoyed being there.


Q - What was your most memorable moment in your career to date?

A - I think it was playing in the play off semi-final second leg against Oldham at Loftus Road for QPR.
It was such an amazing night and then going to Cardiff to play in the final - that was amazing as well but we were devastated about the result.
But getting promoted the following season was big for me as well - although I didn't play for the final few games because I injured so I was disappointed about that
.

Q - How was it working with Steve Palmer? And what was training like under Ian Holloway?

A - When I was at QPR he was the first defender that I played with. I learnt so much playing with him.
I used to do a lot covering for him! But he taught me about being in the right position and doing the correct things.
It was something that certainly accelerated my career because I was such a late developer.
Ollie is a character. He'd come into training everyday laughing, making you laugh and doing mad things on the training ground so it was definitely enjoyable going to training.
You never knew what he was going to do, he was different I can definitely say that
!

Q - Who would be your ideal central defensive partner, both past and present?

A - That's a tough question! I enjoy playing with Jay DeMerit and also Malky Mackay because of his knowledge.
But I enjoyed playing with Clarke Carlisle at QPR it's just so nice when you understand someone and you know what they're going to do.
You need to form that partnership, when me and Clarke played at QRR we played together such a lot and we just knew what each other was doing.
Also Terrell Forbes at QPR, I used to win the headers and he was quick so he'd do all the sweeping up. I've learnt so much playing with these players.

Watford Official Site - SHITTU TAKES THE HOT SEAT

DAN Shittu sat down and went through the questions that have come in from the readers of www.watfordfc.com this week.

The big centre half was bowled over by the response and would like to send his thanks to everyone who sent questions in.

We tried to ask as many as possible - if your question wasn't answered we'll be bringing your more opportunities over the rest of the season so keep logging in.

PART I


Q - What's it like playing top fight football?
Matthew Ashby

A -It's certainly been worth working hard for. I've been working hard for the last eight years for this - just to prove that I'm good enough to play at this level.

I'm just glad that I've been given the opportunity to play against top-flight teams week-in week-out playing against some great players.

Q - What are the main differences between the Championship and the Premiership?
James Harding

A - The atmosphere is different, look at Man United the other night they were playing in front of 76,000 people - you don't really get that in a Championship match.

It's also obviously the players you are playing against - they are so much sharper, you have to be on your toes more.

Q - It's the 90th minute and we're 1-0 up. The opposing forward runs through and is preparing to score, do you foul him and give away a penalty and get sent off, or let him go and take a chance he might miss?
Simon Conway

A - I think if I was the last man and I feel he's getting away from me and could go and score then you've definitely got to take a red card for it.

This kind of scenario happened to me once at Cardiff in the play-off final (when playing for QPR) - I never thought he was going to score from that sort of range.

But back to the scenario - yes if there wasn't much of the game left and it could be a win for the club it's definitely worth it.

Q - What striker would you most like to play against in the world?
John Hester, Northwood

A - I haven't played against Rooney. He's the man at the moment and I like to test myself against people like that.

He didn't play down here and I was injured when we played up there so I was a little upset that I didn't get a chance to prove myself against him.

Q - Who has been the toughest opponent you've played against this season?
Ollie Trenchard

A - For me it's always been more about the small quick players - you've got to be much more alert and they normally prove a little bit harder for me.
I seem to do alright when I'm playing against big physical players like Martins and Camara.
Then obviously you've got players like Henry who do things differently and you pick up so much playing against them.

Q - I think you are a great player and a nice person. My question is what made you come to Watford?

James Keefe (Aged 8)


A - I'd heard a lot about Aidy Boothroyd and I knew some of the players like Chris Powell. I used to see Marlon King and he'd tell me about the club.



It's good when you go to a club and you work under someone who drives you and pushes you and I knew the gaffer was like that.



People know that I was meant to sign for West Brom but once I spoke to the gaffer I knew he was someone I wanted to work under.



So far I've learnt so much, he's a good role model and I believe in good role models.



If I can learn from people like that then the kids that I teach can learn from me as well.



I want people to see me as a good role model - someone they can aspire to be - I'm just going to keep working hard until I get there.

Part I

PART II:
HITTU PART TWO

WELCOME to part two of the Q and A with central defender Dan Shittu - we hope you like his answers.



Click here for part one



Q - You're my hero! I play in defence and during a game I always remember the way you play and it inspires me. Do you prefer playing for Watford or QPR?

William Cottle



A - Hi William, thanks for the question. I love playing for Watford - although I had a great time at QPR as well.



Thanks for saying you look up to me - before I got into football I used to look at people like Sol Campbell and he inspired me.



I'm really happy that people look at me and say that as well. Thank you very much.



Dan Shittu cele



But what I say is don't just look at me and say that, you've actually got to go out and work so hard to actually prove that you can do it as well.



I worked hard and believed that one day I would play in the Premier League which is what I'm doing.



So for the young people out there, I got a lot of negative vibes when I went on trial, people put me down and a coach told me that I would never play league football so just don't listen to negative ness - they're just trying to put you down.



You just work hard, believe in yourself and you'll get there. I'm a good example of that.



I wasn't someone who was playing from a young age with a club, I got in there really late and there were times when I was going to give up but I kept working hard. That's the reason why I'm here today.



Q - I remember reading after the penalty shoot-out with Newcastle that you were doing your best to put off their players as they went to take their spot kicks. Do you try your best in every game to say or do things to get into the heads of opposition players?

Andy McDowall



A - When you come out on to the pitch in Premiership matches you have to line up and shake hands.



I always try and tell the keeper that I'm going to win the first ball or I might say to a centre half that I'll take a yellow card to go through them!



It can definitely affect players in games, no question, because they may duck out of a header so it's definitely works if you do it in the right way.

Q- Who is your best friend at the Watford FC and what is your dream in Football?
Mohammad Ibrar, Oldham

A - I get on with everybody here it's like a big family. I room with Adrian Mariappa - we play pro-evo all the time!

I also hang around with Al Bangura, Damien Francis, Chris Powell and Jordan Stewart - we all play pre-evo a lot. But everybody gets on here so it's good.

It definitely helped having Clarke here when I first joined. I knew Chris Powell as I was at Charlton with him.



My dream as a footballer is to prove to people that I'm not just an average footballer but that I'm good enough to be one of the best.



I think I'll be happy when I show what a good defender I am - and people compare me to some of the top defenders. Representing my country was a huge achievement for me as well.



Q - If you were stranded on a dessert island what would you take and why?
Emma



A - If I could take a mobile phone that would help! I would like to take one of my computer consoles and maybe a TV - I'd like a laptop with some good music on it - I'd be happy with that!!



Q - If you could send one message to the fans what would it be?
Lorraine Butler



A - Thank very much for supporting us and believing in us, we are working hard to try and keep Watford up.



We all believe that we can still do it, we are going to make mistakes but we are trying to learn from them.



We're trying to use all our strength to try and keep the club up. Because that's what every single person at the club wants, including the gaffer - he's driving us and working us and we all still believe.

When we get to games, especially at the away games the fans really help us by getting behind us. So keep supporting us!


Q - How did you get spotted for QPR?

Ollie Trenchard

A - I was at Charlton when I was 18 and I went to Blackpool on loan - they tried to buy me but I didn't want to go there.
So I went back to Charlton and I was playing in the reserves.
I was a bit unhappy about that so I asked if I could go out on loan again and I think Ian Holloway came and saw me at a reserve game and he gave me a chance and took me on.
I went on loan for a couple of months and QPR wanted me there permanently.
I said to Charlton that I would rather go there than play in the reserves. I really liked it down at QPR - it proved to be a move that I definitely don't regret. QPR played a really good part in my life and I really enjoyed being there.
Part II


Part III:
Q - Who do you sit next on the bus for away games?

Ollie Trenchard & James Williams



A - I tend to sit next to either Jordan Stewart or Adrian Mariappa - we usually talk about the games coming up, property and business. As well as who is the best at pro evo!



Danny Shittu



When I first came here I was alright (at pro-evo) I beat Jordan, he's the man to beat as he gives it verbally but he's a good player as well.



I started off well but I'm starting to fall down the pecking order now which isn't too good!



Q - What was your most memorable moment in your career to date?
Lorraine Butler

A - I think it was playing in the play off semi-final second leg against Oldham at Loftus Road for QPR.
It was such an amazing night and then going to Cardiff to play in the final - that was amazing as well but we were devastated about the result.
But getting promoted the following season was big for me as well - although I didn't play for the final few games because I injured so I was disappointed about that
.

Q - What team did you support a child?
James Harding

A - A lot of my friends supported Liverpool so we all followed them although we never actually went to any games!



Q - What car do you drive?

Mark Rutherford



A - I've got a Mercedes CLS at the moment - I used to have an S class as well.


Q - What's been your highlight so far since joining Watford?

Nick, Watford



A - It was great to beat Middlesbrough because they're a good side and to see players of such quality not have many chances was great.



It was good to prove to people that we can win games. There have also been a lot of games where we've drawn and played well so I think there have been a lot of highlights so far.



Danny Shittu and Adriano



Q - Who would be your ideal central defensive partner, both past and present?
Danny, Loughborough Uni



A - That's a tough question! I enjoy playing with Jay DeMerit and also Malky Mackay because of his knowledge.


But I enjoyed playing with Clarke Carlisle at QPR it's just so nice when you understand someone and you know what they're going to do.

You need to form that partnership, when me and Clarke played at QRR we played together such a lot and we just knew what each other was doing.


Also Terrell Forbes at QPR, I used to win the headers and he was quick so he'd do all the sweeping up. I've learnt so much playing with these players.


Q - Which player has the worst taste in music?

Stephen, Keele Uni



A - Our physio Andy Rolls! I don't even know the name of the style of it!



He plays some mad music but he's very romantic as well so sometimes he plays some love songs.



It's nice to hear sometimes but it does get a bit much. Martyn Pert our fitness coach he's got a mad taste in music as well!



Q - What is your favourite pre-match meal?

Brett Hagen



A - We have beans on toast quite a bit before matches. But we have a lot of spaghetti and that's my favourite at the moment.

Q - How was it working with Steve Palmer? And what was training like under Ian Holloway?
Tom Beck

A - When I was at QPR he was the first defender that I played with. I learnt so much playing with him.
I used to do a lot covering for him! But he taught me about being in the right position and doing the correct things.
It was something that certainly accelerated my career because I was such a late developer.
Ollie is a character. He'd come into training everyday laughing, making you laugh and doing mad things on the training ground so it was definitely enjoyable going to training.

You never knew what he was going to do, he was different I can definitely say that!



Q - Are you good friends with Obafemi Martins at Newcastle? I read a newspaper article about him settling into English life and he said he would bell Kanu or yourself for a chat?

Mark Rutherford



A - We're good friends from when we've played for Nigeria together. We talk sometimes and meet up when we can.



Q - What are your favourite and least favourite aspects of training?

Nick, Watford



A - We have meetings quite a bit to discuss tactics and I've never been good at sitting in offices or a classroom so I find that sort of stuff hard.

You learn from them it's the just the fact that you have to sit down for so long. I'm a more active guy! Part III


THE FINAL PART


Q - Who is the fittest in the team and what sort of average did the team get in the bleep test?

Derek, Slough



A - I would say the fittest could be Jordan Stewart or Adrian Mariappa - they can run for miles.



Everybody's very fit and that's something the manager demands because of the way we play.



I didn't do too well in the bleep test today so I was a bit disappointed with that - but I haven't trained that much for the last two weeks.



Dan Shittu



But it was just nice to be back, I'm going to work hard now to get my fitness up.



Q - What CD's are in your car today?

Mike Penn



A - I've got a funky-house mix CD and a bit of R 'n' B and Hip Hop as well.



Q - Do you have a nickname at the club?

Daniel Goldstone



A - Everyone calls me the 'big man'!



Q - How old were you when you were first chosen by a professional club? I was eight when Watford and Chelsea came after me but I was too nervous. Any advice?

George Mole



A - I was 17-and-a-half, I didn't really get spotted I had to write lots of letters and go there and prove myself! Don't give up George, keep on trying if you want it that badly it will happen.



Q - What is your most prized possession?

Josh Hughes



A - Well my kids mean the world to me! In terms of possession, I don't know, my kids are the most important thing really.



Q - If Watford's goalkeeper got sent off or injured and there was no replacement would you volunteer?

James Harding



Dan Shittu and Thomas Sorensen



A - I used to play in goal when I played on the estates. I think I would, I'm not half as good as the 'keepers we've got here but I could do a job.



Q - My son is a keen player and lives it 24/7. He has already been scouted by Watford and Spurs at the age of eight and I want to give him the best opportunity to progress. Would you say speed/pace is more important that football skills on the ball?

Celia Findlay



A - I think that something like speed and pace is something very important in today's football - a lot of clubs look for quick players.



I think if you've got that, or you can work to have that then learning football can come - the fact that he's so young as well so you've time to learn.



Speed and touch - work on those two things, keep working hard and enjoying it, when I got in when I was 17 I really couldn't kick a ball.



I could run and head a ball but I wasn't the best technically so it's something that I've had to learn from a late age. I'm still learning now too.



Q - What do you think was your best performance this season?

Adam, Watford



A - I think Manchester City away. We drew 0-0, I nearly scored and I got Sky Sports Man of the

Match award - which I was very proud of myself.



Q - I'm itching to know what size boots you are? I'm sad like that!

Joe, Hemel Hempstead



A - I'm a size 12!



Q - Do you have any prized match shirts in your collection?

Mike Sills, Birmingham



A - I've got Martins' shirt when we play Inter Milan pre-season and for when he played for Newcastle. I've got Theo Walcott's shirt too from when I played against him with QPR. Since then we've kept in touch. I've also got Emmanuel Adebayors as well.



Q - Please tell me about your charity - I understand you help kids in London is this true?

Seb Orton



A - I run an Academy in east London, it's not just for kids from that area it's for kids of all ages that want to come and play and learn about football.



When I'm not playing games or training I'm always there training the kids and they're around me and I teach them what I learn in training.



Its not just football it's about being a better person as well. I do it on Tuesday evenings in east London - it's for anybody who wants to come down there and train.



Q - What's your situation with Nigeria

Harry Stephens



A - I'm still involved with Nigeria, the thing about African football and especially Nigerian football is the politics involved.

It's something that is still on-going that we're trying to sort out. But once we're able to get past that African football will be much better.

I want to play for them and I will definitely play for them soon but my main aim now is just concentrating on Watford and staying up in the Premier League.


Q - Playstation or X-box?

Mark Rutherford



A - Definitely playstation! I'm not really an X-box fan because of the buttons. I've heard that the 'shoot-em-up' games on the X-box are good so I was thinking about purchasing it, but I've always been a playstation man ever since day one!

Thank you to everyone who sent in questions for big Dan, we'll be bringing your further opportunities to question more Hornets' stars over the course of the season here at www.watfordfc.com Part IV

Blog Archive