QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Tony Roberts Desire to Play Again in the League

-
[No mention in the article re his QPR coaching position] or recent "developments."]

BBC - Chris Bevan - Roberts eyes League return

"I finished when I was 29 and I am still as hungry as ever. I would love to be a professional again" Dagenham & Redbridge keeper Tony Roberts

It is more than eight years since former Wales and QPR goalkeeper Tony Roberts played his last Football League game but he has never stopped dreaming of a return.

Now that could become reality as the veteran shot-stopper has helped Dagenham and Redbridge open up an eight-point lead at the top of the Conference with 12 games left.

Roberts, 37, is in his testimonial season at Victoria Road and after several unsuccessful promotion campaigns this could just turn out to be his year.

A serious knuckle injury forced Roberts to quit full-time football in 1998 but he has made a full recovery - Saturday's win over Southport was his 300th game for Dagenham - and feels he is performing better than ever.

There would be the small matter of an insurance payout to return if he resumes his former occupation as a professional footballer - but Roberts clearly has his heart set on one last hurrah.

"It means a lot," Roberts told BBC Sport. "I finished when I was 29 and I am still as hungry as ever. I would love to be a professional again.

"I am playing alright and I look at the likes of David Seaman, Peter Schmeichel and David Beasant who all played into their 40s.

"I can't see the lads giving it up now. They are looking so strong off the pitch too as a unit - they want success and I think they are going to get it."
Tony Roberts

"Experience counts for a lot when you are a keeper and I feel I am a better keeper now than I was when I was at QPR years ago. Mentally I am a lot stronger and I seem to know the game better."

There is still work to be done if Dagenham are to secure a League place and Roberts wants to focus on the task ahead before addressing the insurance issue - but the signs are the club will help him out.

"I have spoken to the manager John Still about it and he said they are looking into it so I have just left it to him," Roberts explained.

"I just want to concentrate on playing at the moment and all my thoughts are there.

"I've left that side of it to John and if it comes off it comes off, if not I'll have to move on.

"But when I first went to Dagenham the idea was to get in the league and if I can get them there after seven seasons at the club then I think that I'll deserve a chance."

Dagenham finished in the top five for the first four of those seven campaigns - including 2002 when they finished second to Boston on goal difference and 2003 when they lost in the play-off final to Doncaster.

They have already passed one hurdle this season though - their Victoria Road ground was assessed by the Football League on Monday and it met all their criteria.

And Roberts is confident that the Daggers can finish the job on the pitch.

"John has got the boys playing the way he wants them," Roberts said.

"Since he came in we have been steadily rebuilding and the club is run professionally on and off the pitch.

"He is getting his rewards now. The players we have are hungry, fit and strong. We have a spirit now where we go out and we don't think we are going to get beaten.

"I can't see the lads giving it up now. They are looking so strong off the pitch too as a unit. They want success and I think they are going to get it." BBC

Blog Archive