QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Waddock Talks About QPR and His Aldershot Plans

-
Ex-QPR gary Waddock on Ex-QPR, Goalie Nikki Bull

Bully May Yet Remain A Shot -
Aldershot News - Story by Stray Shots Team


New Shots boss Gary Waddock has told the Aldershot News that he hasn't spoken to anyone about Nikki Bull's future apart from the player himself.
Shots supporters who believe that the highly rated keeper could be leaving the club to further his career, may draw hope over a report in today's edition of the Aldershot News.
Waddock has told the paper, "As of this moment Nikki is still under contract to us and as of this moment I haven't spoken to any other club about him."
We will have to wait and see if these are just clever words by Waddock, who by his own admission won't get drawn in to any speculation concerning player dealings and with the manager having only just returned from his summer vacation, he won't have had time to talk to anyone, but one thing is for sure - it can only be a good thing if The Shots manage to keep hold of Bully for another season.
Waddock concluded by saying, "As of now he's still here and as of now I'm working on him being here at the start of the season." News

BBC- Shots in the distance By Pete Oliver
New Aldershot Town boss Gary Waddock plans to be at the Recreation Ground for the long haul following an all too brief previous taste of management.
Waddock was in charge at Queens Park Rangers for just a couple of months at the start of last season after ending the 2005/06 campaign in caretaker control of the Championship club.
A poor run of results cost the former QPR midfielder - an FA Cup finalist under Terry Venables in 1982 - his job.
But Waddock has bounced back with the Shots and he hopes to make his mark.
He told BBC Sport: "I worked at every level at QPR and I always wanted to be a number one.
"I had a fantastic opportunity at QPR and I will use some of that experience. I managed there for a short period of time and I want to stay in it a bit longer this time.

"I just wanted to get out and manage and coach. Aldershot have given me that opportunity and I want to be here for a number of years.
"I am looking forward to the challenge and looking, over a period of time, to get them back into the Football League. That's what I am about."
The Blue Square Premier is new territory for Waddock but the 45-year-old has experienced most things in a career which took in almost 500 League games with QPR, Luton Town, Millwall, Bristol Rovers and spell in Belgium with Charleroi.
He was also capped 21 times by the Republic of Ireland before starting a coaching career which saw him progress from the Academy to the senior job at Loftus Road.
Now he is picking the brains of colleagues and contacts to help familiarise himself with non-league football, but also has the know-how of Shots first-team coach Martin Khul to ease the transition.
Former Portsmouth and Birmingham midfielder Kuhl was part of the previously successful managerial set-up under Terry Brown and has stayed on despite being overlooked for the manager's job.
"With Martin here I have got his experience and knowledge and I will tinker with things a bit to bring in a few players," Waddock said.
"There is a good base of players brought in by Terry Brown and Martin to build on.
"I have been talking to players, agents and contacts about bringing players into the club, hopefully before pre-season or in the early part of it so we can get down to preparing properly."
Waddock expects half-a-dozen new faces to arrive before the start of the new season, with former Shots striker Tim Sills, who is currently at Hereford United, thought to be among his potential targets.
"I know the players I want," he added. "I am just in the process of talking to them to see what they want and if they are the type of characters we want at the club."
Enthusiasm, determination and desire will be three watch-words for Waddock, who will also be bringing his coaching techniques to bear.
"I have a modern approach to it all and hopefully I can get that into the players and they will respond. I am sure they will," he added.
Under Brown, who called time on his five-year stint at Aldershot in March, the former League club, which was re-formed after being wound up in 1992, won promotion to the Conference and twice reached the play-offs.
After two successive mid-table finishes, Waddock is keen to regain the momentum and get back among the front-runners.
"It's a hard league with some good clubs in it. It's a difficult league to get out of but I am looking forward to that challenge," he said.
"I want us to challenge and if we do that I am sure everybody will be happy. Me and Martin are looking to bring success.
"The club has had some success over the last few years and want to take that step forward and bring back League status." BBC

Blog Archive