QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Simon Walton Snippets

-
Simon Walton was Ian Dowie's first signing as Charlton manager a year ago. Soon after his 500,000 pound signing from Leeds, Walton joined first Ipswich on loan; then Cardiff. Never actually played a league game for Charlton Received 3 Red cards and 7 yellow cards.

Simon Walton was in the Leeds team that crushed a sick Ian Holloway's QPR 6-1, three seasons back. Match Report of Leeds victory vs QPR and Match Report II

In October 2005, the Daily Mirror was linking him to Liverpool
October 10, 2005 - RAFA'S WALTON CHASE
LIVERPOOL are planning a third raid for Leeds' teenage midfielder Simon Walton.
Walton, 18, was the subject of interest from Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez last season and again earlier in the summer.
Now he is planning a another bid for the talented Walton and believes £600,000 will be enough to lure him to the European champions - Mirror


AT CHARLTON:


Charlton Official - Walton Signs

WALTON COMMENTS ON JOINING CHARLTON
"...."I'm a combative player, and that might sometimes get the better of me. I try not to shirk any responsibility and maybe I'm a bit over-zealous sometimes," said Simon.
"The cards last season were probably down to frustration due to me not playing and perhaps I was trying too hard. That's part of my game so I will have to work on that in the Premiership - I'll have to count to 10 a bit more!"
While at Leeds Walton primarily played as a central midfielder, but also featured in defence. So which is his preferred position?
"I am a centre-half but I played most of my games for Leeds in centre midfield because I get about the pitch and like a tackle," he said. "But I like to think I will make my name as a centre-half." Chalton - Walton Profiled

IAN DOWIE WHEN HE SIGNED FROM LEEDS
""Simon is a talented boy and he might surprise a few people..."He's very competitive, a very strong runner in terms of power and a great athlete who is very comfortable on the ball. "We think he's a very good investment for the future, but looking at his attributes he's a lad capable of playing in the Premiership sooner rather than later as well." Simon Walton - Signing for Dowie

Signed from Leeds to Charlton a year Ago

IAN DOWIE ON WALTON WHEN HE WENT TO IPSWICH ON LOAN
"....We bought Simon as a player who could be a big, big player at this football club. He's certainly one for the future and he's got great potential.... Dowie on Walton when he went out on loan

Walton interviewed while at Ipswich on loan last season

Scored the penalty for Ipswich in their win against QPR a year ago - August 2006: Report

FACTOID: A year ago, Walton, Camp & Blackstock (all with their old clubs) were in the Football League U-21 Squad vs Italian League

October 2005 - Played for England u-19 (along with Mancienne and Smith) and got sent off. Report

2002: Played for England U-16 - Report

Playing Record - Record

See Wikipedia Profile of Walton

Walton's career:

QPR & CHARLTON SITES ON HIS SIGNING FOR QPR
QPR: Addicks Ace Signs

Charlton: Walton Joins QPR

QPR - Profile: Simon Walton

Blog Archive