QPR Report Twitter Feed

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Bircham's Career-Ending Injury Concern

-
Marc Bircham - Icons- Giving myself one last chance

I've had another set-back in my rehab which is a bit of a blow. My hamstring went last week and now I have to just crack on and see what happens next.
I was doing work in London with a very good physio and I had got to the point where I was sprinting better than I have done for a long time. I did some leg weights and then the next day on the treadmill I felt it go - just like I've felt it go before.
It's been a frustrating last couple of years with injures and one of the most annoying things about it is that when I've been able to get on a pitch I've played some of my best football. It's just that I haven't been able to get a run of games.
I could see myself working with Olly again – he could definitely be my kit man.
I remember it first happening when I was at QPR in a game against Norwich. We were 2-0 up and that's when I got my first hamstring problem. It's always been in the back of my mind since then. Whenever I've sprinted I've felt I had to hold back a bit.
I've gone down every route to get this thing sorted and I'm going to give it one last chance. I'll see where I am in the New Year and if I still can't play I'll have to look at my options. The physio I'm with is great and he's very positive. He's saved a few players' careers and he believes this could just be a little setback that is quite common at the stage I'm at.
I hope he's right because I just want to play football. I like everything about Yeovil and I'd love to play a part in their season and show the fans what I can do.
I do still hope to get back playing and we'll have to see how things go. Whenever I do give up playing the game I want to stay in football as a coach or manager. If you can't play football the next best thing is to coach it. I've been doing my coaching badge and I've learned from some great teachers.
Obviously Ian Holloway was a big influence on my career when I was at QPR and he was a great man manager and motivator. One of the ways he motivated us was to lose at anything he played against us – tennis, golf, anything. It was great for our confidence. I could see myself working with Olly again – he could definitely be my kit man.
If I had to give up the game now I would be happy with my career. I've had a great time and I fulfilled my dream of playing for QPR, the team I've supported all my life. I said when I was with QPR that if it all came to an end then and there I'd quit with a smile on my face. I've also played internationally for Canada and that has been a great experience.
Like I said, though, my immediate hope is to get fit and able to play for Yeovil... Icons

Blog Archive