QPR Report Twitter Feed

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Vine on QPR...Harford on Ben Sahar...Powell's QPR Connection...Ainsworth on QPR

-
From this week's Kilburn Times. But NO update re any managerial appointment.

Kilburn Times - Ben Kosky - Vine can keep flourishing at Loftus Road

ROWAN Vine has hinted he is seeking to extend his stay at QPR when his month's loan runs out at the end of next week.
Vine is due to return to Birmingham after Rangers' home clash with Hull a week on Saturday, but he is keen to try and arrange an extension to his initial loan.
Asked if he would prefer to remain at Loftus Road after the Hull game, the striker said: "I can't see any reason why not. I just want to play football and I want to carry on.
"The reason for coming here was to get a couple of games. I've played a lot of games in the Championship, I know the league and I know what's required in terms of hard work.
"I'm not one for hanging around, sitting on the fringes and not playing. If you're given a glimmer of hope that's one thing, but if not then it's always best to move on."...
Meanwhile, Harford has refuted suggestions that on-loan striker Ben Sahar, who was left out of the squad against Ipswich, could be looking to return to Chelsea.
Sahar's mother was quoted recently in an Israeli newspaper, saying that his loan deal with QPR had been a mistake and that she would prefer to end the arrangement as soon as possible.
The teenager played for his country in a friendly against Belarus just three days before the Ipswich game and Harford confirmed: "I spoke to Ben about the reasons for leaving him out of the squad and he accepted it.
"Ben has been away for two weeks, he had a lot of travelling and we thought it might be best to give him a break."
Sahar was an unused substitute as Rangers drew 0-0 against Preston on Tuesday night. Kilburn Times


Ben Kosky/Kilburn Times - A Ranger at heart?
Chris Powell
CHRIS Powell is the consummate professional - but the veteran Charlton defender will feel a tinge of sadness if his team beat QPR this weekend.
The ex-England international, now in his third spell at The Valley, is a Tottenham fan, but readily admits he has always regarded Rangers as his 'second' team.
Powell cheered on Ian Holloway's side in the 2003 Division Two play-off final - and even came close to pulling on a blue and white hooped shirt under Holloway a couple of years later.
"One of my best friends is a big Rangers fan and we went to support them at the play-off final," Powell told the Times. "A few Rangers fans spotted me and I'm sure they wondered what I was doing there.
"But I watched QPR a lot as a young lad and I've always had a soft spot for the club. Bob Hazell was there when I started watching them and I also liked Simon Stainrod and John Byrne.
"Clive Wilson was a great player, someone I watched a lot because he was a left-back and so was I. I'm also good friends with Dennis Bailey, who of course became part of QPR folklore.
"I'm sure they'll be looking to put on a display live on TV and of course I want us to beat them on Saturday, but I hope the club get out of the position they're in and survive.
"It's been sad to see them go through so many financial problems and so many other lows over the years. Obviously what happened to Ray Jones has been difficult to recover from, as well as the change of manager."
Powell is expected to miss Saturday's clash at The Valley with an ankle injury but, had circumstances been different, the 38-year-old could have been lining up for Rangers instead.
Out of contract at West Ham in the summer of 2005, Powell received a call from Holloway, who was searching for a new left-back after the exit of Gino Padula.
In the event, the defender made a shock return to Charlton - then still a Premiership club - but he admitted: "I was quite close to joining the Rs.
"I spoke to Ollie a few times and we talked about what he wanted and what I could bring to the team. It would have been interesting and I was quite excited by the prospect, but it never came off."
Instead, Powell went back to the club where he won his five England caps and, after a year-long interlude at Watford, returned to Charlton yet again last summer in a player-coach role.
Before picking up the injury in last weekend's 2-0 defeat at Wolves, he had been a regular in the Addicks side and is fast approaching a career total of 750 appearances.... Kilburn Times

Kilburn Times - Step on the Gaz
IT feels like we've been live on TV an awful lot recently - and hopefully that jinx is one that was lifted against Norwich.
Maybe Mick Harford was the missing factor. We'll see on Saturday when we go up in .....The good thing is that we do seem to be defending a lot better at the moment - we've only conceded once in three games now after leaking goals earlier in the season.
Campy was unbelievable at Preston on Tuesday, not just with the penalty save but the way he led from the back. It gives you so much confidence knowing you've got a keeper like that behind you.
I think Jake Cole would be a number one anywhere else, but Campy's proved what a great bargain he's been for this club.
Preston gave us a tough battle, but the important thing was not getting beaten and we achieved that.
We were also fairly happy with our performance against Ipswich on Saturday - I think a draw was about fair and, having gone behind, you'd settle for a point.
It shows good character to come back and get a result. I'm very pleased for big Marc, who scored a great goal and that's just what he needs after being out injured.
As regards injuries, I must admit a couple of niggles have been bothering me and maybe at my age I have to accept that it's going to be more difficult to heal quickly.
It's taken a bit longer to get match fit, but obviously I want to keep my place in the side. I wasn't tired on Saturday - the change was tactical - but you won't see any tantrums from me about being taken off.
You have to be professional and accept that fresh legs are needed later in the game, that's all there is to it. Kilburn Times

Blog Archive