QPR Report Twitter Feed

Friday, December 21, 2007

QPR Snippets: Vine and Taylor?...Guardian Humour...Ex-QPR Director to be Swindon's CEO...Kulscar's Debut One Decade Ago....Ex-QPR's Leroy Griffiths

-
The Mail - BIRMINGHAM City are ready to sell striker Rowan Vine to Queens Park Rangers in a £2m deal.
Vine, 25, has been on loan at Rangers for two months — scoring three goals.
Birmingham boss Alex McLeish, said: 'I will talk to Vine's agent.' The player joined Birmingham in January from Luton for £2.5m. The Mail

SkySports
"...Birmingham manager Alex McLeish is prepared to release Neil Danns - with Nottingham Forest interested in the midfielder....Now McLeish has told Danns he will allow him to leave after delivering the same message last week to central defender Martin Taylor...
McLeish believes the time is still right for Taylor to leave even though Johan Djourou's return to Arsenal next month after a loan spell will leave City short of numbers in that department.
He said: "Djourou is going back but it's still the same situation with Martin. We feel it's better for the big fellow to move on. It's the right time.
"We need to make some changes and do things differently. I think QPR are still in the hunt for Martin but you will have to ask his agent on that one and find out where things are at..." Skysports

And Humour From The Guardian?
The Fiver Christmas Awards 2007 - Barry Glendenning and Scott Murray
Thursday December 20, 2007
".....THE BRUCE LEE AWARD FOR BEST BRAWL
The players and coaches of China Under-23s and QPR, whose training-ground "friendly" was abandoned when players staged an impromptu re-enactment of the Kill Bill scene where Uma Thurman took on the Crazy 88, but with QPR assistant manager Richard Hill playing the role of The Bride. The kumate ended with the police being called, Xian Chanba defender Zheng Tao being carted away in an ambulance, unconscious, with a broken jaw, and seven Chinese players being sent home in disgrace. Whether this was because of the fight, or because QPR were winning 2-1 at the time the Great Brawl kicked off remains unclear. The Guardian

In Swindon Takeover
"...Fitton's consortium will take control of football matters at the club from today with former QPR director Nick Watkins expected to be unveiled as chief executive designate..." Swindon Advertiser

A decade ago today: December 21, 1997: George Kulscar, Ray Harford's First Signing, made his QPR debut and Harford won his first game as QPR manager (one of only four wins in his year at QPR). QPR beat Blackburn 1-0 (Peacock penalty) before a crowd of just under 9,000 with Kulscar going off injured.
Roberts - Brevitt Ready Maddix Yates
Sinclair Kulscar Peacock Quashie
Spencer Sheron
Sub: Gallen & Murray

Gillingham's squad for tomorrow's game vs Brighton
Gills from: Simon Royce, Derek Stillie, Sean Clohessy, Adam Bygrave, Simon King, Craig Armstrong, John Nutter, Marvin Hamilton, Mark Bentley, Stuart Thurgood, Andrew Crofts, Dennis Oli, Craig Stone, Leroy Griffiths, Barry Cogan, Aaron Brown, Nicky Southall, Steve Lomas, Chris Dickson, Adam Miller, Shabazz Baidoo, Luke Freeman, Gary Mulligan, David Graham, Delroy Facey, Andy Pugh. Gillingham

Leroy Griffiths/Gillingham Official Site
Leroy: "I just want to win."
Gillingham striker Leroy Griffiths is hoping to show the Gills faithful what he is capable of over the festive period.
The striker has been at the KRBS Priestfield Stadium for just over a month and is thoroughly enjoying his time: "I first heard about the move on the Sunday night and it was a big shock to me. I am glad that it has happened. I am here on a month-to-month basis so Mark Stimson can see what I still have to offer. If he is happy then we could sort something out long-term and I can get something out of it.

"The main difference is that in League One, people know a lot more about the game. In the Conference, you touch the ball and somebody is onto you, smash and you're being hurried. In League One, you have a couple more seconds to look up and pick your pass. It is more controlled. The build-up to the game, the warm-up and everything is professional. In the non-league, you warm-up by kicking the ball around and doing a couple of runs. At Gillingham, we have a proper warm-up and stretching, we eat proper food and everything is right. There is a right time for this and a right time for that so everything is balanced out. Everything is the best so you can perform at the best of your ability."

Griffiths has already played in different positions for the Gills and admits he'll play anywhere as he is more concerned about the team winning: "I am a hard worker, a grafter and I do not like losing or drawing; I am a winner. People will see with my play that if you have got the ball, I am going to be chasing you until my legs give in. I could have both legs broken but I would try to keep running until I was taken off. That is me, I am a worker and I just want to win. If we can do well, then it is all good. If we're doing badly, I'll be going at people as I want us to win.

"I'm not an out and out striker although I have played that position for Mark Stimson before. I'm more versatile and I am more of a link player. I can do the striker role but I can also do the holding and defending role. A lot of strikers don't like defending but I don't mind running back because I want to win so much. If a person has run past my player, my job is to cover him and help him out. Not a lot of strikers do that. As you see, a lot of strikers just stay up there, get the goals and take the limelight. For me, I'd rather do my bit to help the team get the three points because that will move us up the table."

Griffiths arrived at the Gills with six other players and has settled in well with his new team-mates: "When you go into the club, you sometimes don't get a reaction from players. They might look concerned because they've been there a while and then they see a lot of new faces come in and they start thinking where does he play; does he play in my position? You won't know that until the manager says this is my new striker or new defender. In some aspects, you see peoples faces change but everyone is a big man and we get on with it. If you do well in training and do your job, then it is up to the manager to decide on your selection. If you don't do well, you could be dropped. He still might have faith in you but you have still got to do your job."

The Gills enter a busy festive period with Friday night's game at Brighton & Hove Albion and Griffiths explains that the fans can play their part as the 12th man: "I know we haven't been as good as we should have been of late but get behind us as when the fans do that, they act as that 12th man. If you've got 12 versus 11, you are more likely to win the game. When you are a man down, the other team should win. Get behind us, get behind Mark Stimson as he is doing a good job and is trying to liven things up. People have seen the pace that we can play at and how much grafting we can do. We are not here to just pick up our money and wear this shirt. We want to do well and get the club up to where it should be. We shouldn't be in 17th, we should be further up the table and although we haven't won for a couple of games, lets get this win in the next game and roll up the table."
Gillingham

Blog Archive