QPR Report Twitter Feed

Monday, July 28, 2008

Remembering De Canio and Language Issues

-
Dave McIntyre - BBC 606 Communication problems
by David M - BBC Sport (U1628513) 28 July 2008
I had my first conversation with Matteo Alberti on Saturday.
He thought I worked behind the scenes at Falkirk and asked me where the way out was, so I told him.
Still, it’s good to ‘touch base’ eh?
I was actually looking at a picture of Simon Stainrod at the time.
By that I don’t mean I carry around a picture of Stainrod, as much as I love the man. It was a photo proudly mounted on the wall inside the stadium at Falkirk because he was a popular player there too.
When I think of the relative dross that have made it onto the walls around the reception area at QPR lately, and yet I go to a ground in Scotland and find a picture of Simon Stainrod. Something’s not right there.
Anyway, I digress.
I’ve had mixed fortunes with Rangers’ foreign contingent in recent years. For starters it was a shame Gigi De Canio went when he did. We were getting on so well.
Hand gestures and pats on the back had progressed to “hello, how are you?” We’d even sometimes say “see you on Saturday” to each other.
Then, just when we were getting along famously, he left.
I thought we were mates.
In all seriousness, I didn’t know De Canio, partly because of the language barrier he found difficult to overcome during his time at Rangers.
That said, I respected him as a coach and liked him as a person albeit one I didn’t know well.
De Canio was usually able to get his point across to the media although some things were lost in translation. Not least when he seemed to describe Damion Stewart as a potentially world class defender
He was an absolute gentleman and tried very hard to accommodate me and other journalists in what were difficult circumstances. Both sides were finding the job that bit tougher because of the language difference and he was obviously aware of that.
Gigi was always obliging and willing to give his time when he could easily have withdrawn himself. He was also happy to mix with supporters, which he did right up to the day he left.
De Canio was usually able to get his point across to the media although some things were lost in translation. Not least when he seemed to describe Damion Stewart as a potentially world class defender.
But the bottom line was that Gigi’s stay never felt like it was likely to last and with the language issue and his limited knowledge of English football, it never seemed worth troubling the man because there wasn’t a lot he could say.
He did, though, have plenty to say when we met a few days before the final game of last season.
His English had improved noticeably and he was as upbeat as I’d seen him.
In my mind, I had come specifically to ask about Gigi’s future at Rangers – or lack of one.
I suggested he’d found it difficult in London and that the upcoming West Brom match could be his last.
I didn’t expect him to tell me he’d already packed his bags but even I, who takes nothing they’re told at face value, was taken aback by his response.
He looked shocked and bemused at the notion he would be going, greeting it with the type of expression I couldn’t place at the time but with hindsight I’d now liken to that of a continental defender who hacks down a forward and then looks bewildered when the yellow card comes out.
Gigi spoke about his squad, the future and his plans to watch more English players to build up his knowledge. He spoke particularly passionately about his relationship with Gianni Paladini. We all know what happened next.
Communication problems can also creep in with players.
I’m not one of these journos who likes to be pally with players. There are a few reasons for this but the main one is that I just don’t think it’s right.
The exception was Gino Padula, for the simple reason that when he first started playing for QPR his English wasn’t good enough to understand my explanation for not wanting to be friends with a player. It was real Basil and Manuel stuff back then.
I’m glad, because Gino’s a good bloke. He misses England and QPR despite moving to lovely places in France and more recently the USA.
I thought I might make a similar exception when Rangers signed Akos Buzsaky.
Akos was a player I admired before he joined. In fact I thought he was the best player in the Championship and could go on to be a genuine star at QPR if the club progressed and was able to hang onto him.
Imagine my excitement when the man I’d long thought would make a great number 10 for QPR was signed.
Now as much as I like to keep a distance, I thought why not make a little exception here. What the hell.
Like Gino early on, poor old Akos would need to settle. English is his second language and London is very different to both Hungary and Plymouth.
I’d help him out. We’d be mates. The modern-day Bowles and Don Shanks (I was a decent right-back in my time).
And after Akos had emulated Bowles’ achievements - only this time actually winning the title - I’d help to write his autobiography, with a chapter on how I’d helped him settle in those crucial early days.
Unfortunately, I quickly discovered that Akos speaks better English than I do and our paths have barely crossed.
By the way, Don Shanks did not write Stan Bowles’ autobiography. In case I gave that impression.
On a more serious note, it looks like Danny Nardiello’s move to Blackpool will be completed today or tomorrow.
One or two more QPR players may also go there on loan, which should pave the way for Kaspars Gorkss to finally play for Rangers
.
Whether that’s at Kilmarnock tomorrow night or not, I don’t know. Cheers. BBC606



David McIntyre - Concern for Connolly

by David M - BBC Sport (U1628513) 26 July 2008
An ankle injury suffered by Matt Connolly at Falkirk is of more concern to Rangers than the 2-0 defeat.
Iain Dowie is trying to stay hopeful ahead of the results of Connolly’s scan, but I got the impression the injury is a worry.
Connolly left the pitch on a stretcher and will almost certainly miss Tuesday’s game at Kilmarnock.
And if he is found to have suffered ligament damage, he could be out for much longer.
That would be an untimely blow for Connolly, who faces stiff competition for a place this season – especially since the arrival of Peter Ramage – and looked in good form against Northampton on Wednesday night.
As for the performance, Rangers were defensively very poor in the first half and conceded two goals in as many minutes.
The first was an own goal by Damion Stewart, who turned in a left-wing cross after Emmanual Ledesma had been caught out. Then John Stewart volleyed in Falkirk’s second.
Rangers came into it a bit more late in the first half. Damien Delaney shot wide and Ledesma cut inside and curled one over.
In the second half, Dexter Blackstock was denied by a last-ditch tackle after some good link-up play and Martin Rowlands fired just wide from 25 yards.
While Rangers face an anxious wait for new on Connolly, Mikele Leigertwood and Radek Cerny are on the mend following their injuries.
Cerny has recovered from a hamstring strain and will start at Kilmarnock and Leigertwood looks likely to play too after shaking off an Achilles problem.
I’d be interested in your views on Rangers’ pre-season so far and how you things are shaping up. BBC606

Blog Archive