QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, May 17, 2009

QPR Want Tugay and Webber?...Briatore as Manager?!...Rehman Profiled

-
- The football-only QPR Report Messageboard: For articles about football and posters' perspectives. ALL Views welcomed! Make this your second, third or fourth site to at least visit and ideally to post!

Update: Season Ticket Deadline Extended
QPR Official Site- "KEEP YOUR SEAT - DEADLINE EXTENDED!

- With a backlog of Season Ticket applications to process, the Club have opted to extend the Early Bird Season Ticket deadline. With the feel-good factor ahead of the new campaign continuing to build, R's supporters will now have until midnight on Friday 22nd May to renew their Season Ticket at the Early Bird five per-cent discount rate. As of Saturday 23rd May, subsequent prices will be available at a 2.5 per-cent reduction on the 2008/09 Season Ticket prices, which reflects the VAT reduction this year. So don't delay, renew your Season Ticket today!" QPR


- Recently Posted Items include:
- 2009-2010: Important QPR Dates
- Repost: "The QPR Managerial Merry-Go-Around" and "The Byzantine World of QPR"
- Flashback: Blackstock on Not Playing - Under Dowie!
- Ipswich Fans on Magilton
- Waiting for the Minutes/Report of the April 15 OneQPR - Club Reps Meeting
- The Mittal Championship Trust
- Vote for All-time Favourite QPR Player
- President Obama helping further popularize football (soccer) in the United States


The People/Alan Nixon - Tugay's an old Ranger
- Blackburn Rovers star Tugay is ready to do a remarkable U-turn and cancel plans to retire at 38 - to speak to ambitious QPR.
- Tugay, capped 89 times by Turkey, was told his Rovers deal would not be renewed by boss Sam Allardyce - after seven years at Ewood Park - and decided he would hang up his boots.
- But now Rangers want one more season out of the midfielder and will offer him the chance to lead them out of the Championship.
- It would mean Tugay moving to London, but he is considering the chance..
People


Sunday People: Danny Webber
"...Meanwhile, United forward Danny Webber - who is out of contract in the summer - is being chased by Bristol City, Preston and megabucks QPR.. People


And Snippet from LAST Week's People "Sunday People - May 10, 2009
Sunday People, May 10, 2008 - THE WORD SWEEPING THROUGH
SPORT CONFIDENTIAL
- The word sweeping through the QPR dressing room is that co-owner Flavio Briatore could make himself manager, bringing in a young coach to work under him. The People


[Not sure if this article is current is not?!
Sunday People/James Fletcher - 17 May 2009 - The Premiership's first asian star: Zesh Rehman
- Zesh Rehman was the first British Asian to play in the Premiership. His greatest hope is that he can be an inspiration for thousands of other young Asians.
- “I see it is as an honour to be the only Asian professional footballer in the Premiership,” he says. “I’ve always wanted to be a footballer. To be playing in the Premiership is a dream come true.”
- Zesh’s career started in the streets of Aston, a stone’s throw from Villa Park in Birmingham. “I started playing on the streets like most kids do, and then I played in Saturday and Sunday teams and for my school, district and county.
- Zesh was 12 years old when he was spotted by a scout from Fulham. He’s been with the club ever since. “I didn’t find the fact that I was Asian made it more difficult for me to break through,” he says. “I don’t think it’s a barrier if you are good enough. But it doesn’t help that there are no Asian role models.”
- He will always be grateful for the support he had from his parents. “My parents made sacrifices to help: buying all the gear I needed and giving me lifts to and from games and training. They also made sure I continued with my education and got my GCSEs.”
- But he didn’t always repay that support with perfect behaviour. “My parents have always been supportive but I do remember one time they weren’t too pleased,” he says. “My friends and I used to sneak off and play football when we should have been at the mosque – my parents caught me out once and I got blasted!”
- Zesh has recorded many football firsts since his debut for Fulham at Anfield against Liverpool. He was the first Asian to start a Premiership match, the first to play in all four divisions of English professional football, the first to play in the FA Cup and Carling Cup and the first English-born Pakistani to play for Pakistan.
- He says he hasn’t experienced any racism while playing for Fulham, Brighton, Norwich, Queens Park Rangers, Blackpool or Bradford.
- But that makes him feel lucky, as he has heard racist comments at amateur and Sunday league matches.He’s also surprised that only a few British Asian players have become professionals.
- “It’s scary there are only a handful of Asian players in all the professional academies,” he says. “I thought there would be a lot more Asian players than that.”
- He doesn’t think separate leagues for Asians would help. “I believe the leagues should be mixed,” he says. “I don’t feel you need separate leagues – if you’re good enough then you’ll make it.
- “I think that once a few players come through, others will follow. There is Michael Chopra at Newcastle and Shahed Ahmed at Wycombe, so Asian players are coming through.”
- Zesh devotes hours of his personal life to community projects and backs Chelsea’s Search for an Asian Star initiative, events for which were held over the Bank Holiday weekend.
- “There is a lot being done with community schemes, but we need more scouts to look at the players,” he says. “The talent is out there – it just needs to be seen.”
- He also disagrees with the idea that religious practices have hindered the efforts of young Asians to break into the game.
“I am a Muslim,” he points out. “I’m not 100% strict – I’m unable to fast during Ramadan as I need to train and play but I’ll make up for this in other ways.
- “My advice for young Asians would be not to neglect their schoolwork. You never know what can happen in football and it’s important to have something to fall back on.
- “My sole purpose was to try and be a success as a footballer and to inspire other Asian players to follow my lead. Knowing people are looking up to you makes you more determined to break negative stereotypes." Sunday People

Blog Archive