QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, August 08, 2009

Magilton Insist He's The Boss...Magilton Spoke to Dowie...Holloway on His QPR Departure

-
For cutting-edge, continually-updated, football-only news about QPR: Visit the QPR Report Messageboard (and quasi blog)! Feel free to just read. But your posts are welcome! All views genuinely welcomed!


London Paper/Kirk Blows - August 7, 2009
Magilton insists he's the boss at QPR Rangers coach unworried about Briatore

- JIM MAGILTON insists he has “absolutely no fear” as he embarks on his first season as manager of QPR.
- Which might be surprising given that Flavio Briatore has disposed of two bosses in Iain Dowie and Paulo Sousa over the past year.
- The Italian co-owner even fired driver Nelson Piquet from his Renault Formula One team last week, as he continues to prove he won’t tolerate failure.
- There have also been reports that Briatore has upset some of his former managers by breathing a little too heavily down their necks.
- But Magilton, who was sacked by Ipswich in April, is not concerned by rumours – and sought no assurances from his new boss.
- Magilton said: “I have absolutely no fear. If I’d have listened to other people, I’d never have become a professional footballer and would still be at home in Belfast.
- “Mr Briatore has been nothing but fantastic with me. I never asked for assurances and I didn’t expect any.
“I’m the QPR manager and I’m going to be judged accordingly. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but at the end of the day I will live and die by my own decisions.
- “I’ll either be successful or get the sack based on results.”
- Magilton revealed that he spoke with his former Northern Ireland team-mate Dowie before accepting the job.
- He said: “Iain is a very close friend of mine. He had plenty of good things to say about QPR and would love to have continued in his job, but that’s football. I’m lucky because I can work with some of the very good players he brought to the club.”
- Magilton believes the return of injury victims Akos Buzsaky, Martin Rowlands, Rowan Vine and Patrick Agyemang will make a big difference after Rangers failed to live up to their tag of promotion favourites last term.
- “Any club would miss those players,” he said. “Expectation levels have risen here and I know we can do a lot better than last season.
- “I go into any game believing we’re better than anyone and if we can build up some momentum it’s sometimes very hard to stop.”
- Will Jim Magilton survive the Championship season at QPR? London Paper


The Sun/Vic Holly - Ian Holloway on QPR Return - It's like meeting an ex-wife
- IAN HOLLOWAY is meeting a filthy-rich ex today - and he wants to teach them a lesson.
- The man with the fastest mouth in football leads his new Blackpool team into battle with old club QPR.
- He is comparing the match to an awkward meeting with an ex-wife.
But the laugh-a-minute character hides real anger about how he was put on gardening leave by former R's chairman Gianni Paladini for talking to Leicester.
Ollie said: "If you met your ex-missus in a pub, would you have any feelings for her? Of course you would.
- "You might hate her because it ended horribly. You might still love her, who knows? I'm meeting an ex-relationship of mine. They let me speak to Leicester and they were saying, 'He was cheating on his wife'.
- "Well I wasn't - my wife told me to go out with another bird. That's how it was.
"Did they ever want or trust me in the first place? I don't think so. Who cares?
- "At the end of the day, look at the history books. I was manager there for five years and I got them back to where they were on half the budget. That's facts.
- "I'm proud QPR is now owned by zillionaires because they were almost out of existence when I was there.
- "But I want to win with style because they slaughtered me, saying I was a long-ball merchant. I've never played long-ball in my life."

- QPR winger Gareth Ainsworth hopes facing the Seasiders in the season opener will prove lucky again.
He explained: "The last time we played Blackpool in the first game of the season was back in 2003.
"We beat them 5-0, I scored twice and we went on to get promoted - with Ollie as our boss! It's a good omen."
Ainsworth, 36, took the caretaker-manager reins last season but, after the arrival of new manager Jim Magilton, he is putting his playing boots back on.
He said: "My fitness is as good as ever." The Sun


- Birthdays for Phil Parkes and Damion Stewart

- Forty Factoids About QPR

- What All The "Experts" (and just fans) Say re QPR's Championship Chances

- Championship Promotion Odds --- Championship Leading Goalscorer Odds

- Clubs Warned Not to Exploit Fans

- "What Makes A True Football Fan?"

- Craziness in Scotland: Demoted Livingston Refusing to Play

- Danny Dichio's Toronto Crushed by Real Madrid

- Masters Cup Final Draw

- Three Years Flashback: On This Day, Rehman Signs and Baidoo equalizes in Injury Times vs Leeds

- QPR vs Blackpool Previews and Player News

- QPR vs Blackpool: Past Games

Blog Archive