QPR Report Twitter Feed

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Jim Magilton Speaks About QPR...Briatore Not Interfere in Team Matters

-
- QPR REPORT Available on TWITTER!

- For comprehensive and latest QPR news-related pieces and discussion, visit the growing, football-only QPR Report Messageboard. All QPR Perspectives genuinely welcomed! Or comment on any of the posts

- QPR's Last Seventeen Games - Lost, Draw, Won, Lost, Draw, Lost, Lost, Draw, Draw, Won, Lost, Draw, Lost, Lost, Lost, Lost, Lost [LDWLD-LLDDW-LDLLL-LL]: 11 Points from 17 games, leading to 34 points from 30 games.[Last season, QPR had 47 after 32 games - QPR Stats amd QPR Tables in Comparison

- Warnock for QPR?...Relegation Plunge...Coventry Loss...Fan Census re Football and New Social Networks

- Coventry Match Reports and Comments

- In need of Updating: Antonio Caliendo and Flavio Briatore's Sites


Jim Magilton re QPR

Skysports - Tough one to tackle
Being away from management is hard to take, says Jim


Jim Magilton told Goals on Sunday he misses football management in the wake of his exit from QPR last year.

Magilton parted ways with the Loftus Road club in December after he had a "difference of opinion" with midfielder Akos Buzsaky after QPR's 3-1 defeat to Watford, although the 40-year-old has always made it clear that he denies any allegations of wrong-doing.

Since his departure, Rangers have one just once and now sit 17th in the Championship and reflecting on the fate of his former side Magilton said: "They are on a bit of a slippery slope, to be honest.

"They need to start picking up points. Obviously confidence is a big issue for them now.

"The club has got issues - issues that can be easily rectified. They've certainly got a squad of players that is capable. John Gorman and I managed to take them to fourth.

"With that ability comes responsibility and at the end of the day once you pick your team you hand that responsibility over to players and they've got to stand up and be counted.

"You can't keep chopping and changing. You've got to keep faith with someone. Players crave stability, they like repetition, to know that there is going to be a period of calmness."

Tradition
Reflecting on his tenure at Rangers, Magilton said chairman Flavio Briatore did not interfere in team matters and said that issues regarding possible compensation remain on-going.

"To be honest with you I didn't really have any interference from him (Briatore). Like all chairmen, they'll ask questions and he was no different," he said.

"I am not going to tell you (why I lost my job). I haven't spoken to him (Briatore) about it and I won't. The four walls in the dressing room are the most important walls in the football club as far as I am concerned.

"I was brought up in a tradition where whatever happens in there stays in there. I just think once it was taken out of my hands that was it."

But Magilton added: "I miss it because it's all I've ever known. It's something that's in your blood and you look at the quality of people I had around me.

"The club handled it as they saw fit and consequently I lost my job. I'm not one to moan over it or mull over it. It happened, it may have happened for a reason. You dust yourself down and you come back out fighting again."

Difficult
Before entering management, Magilton enjoyed a distinguished playing career that included 262 appearances for Ipswich who then gave him his first job as boss in June 2006.

He explained that going straight from player to manager could be inherently difficult at times.

"I had to make sure that the players knew I was the manager," he reflected. "You need the senior players at the football club to be on your side and that was what happened.

"It's difficult to be the manager of a football club where you had so much success as a player because you feel it more.

"Having been there for 10 years every result that went against you hurt even more. There's no doubt about that. But I was following in Joe Royle's footsteps who did an enormous job for the football club, an absolutely outstanding job.

"When the favourites were falling by the wayside I chanced my arm and managed to come up with a plan I felt we were slowly implementing at the football club. It wasn't fool-hardy. I went in with a clear vision of where I wanted to take the club.

"We finished eighth and ninth - it wasn't good enough for the owner, who obviously had his own ideas of who he wanted to take charge." Skysports

Blog Archive