QPR Report Twitter Feed

Thursday, March 04, 2010

Warnock and Saksena Comments...Paladini on Warnock..Graham Taylor on Warnock...Rise and Rise of Liam O'Brien...Raheem Sterling Deal

-
- QPR REPORT Available on TWITTER!

- For QPR news and perspectives also visit the growing QPR Report Messageboard

- FIFA to ban Brazilian Penalty Move?

- Sousa's Swansea Dreaming of Automatic Promotion

- Next: WBA at Loftus Road

- On This Day....1967 Triumph vs WBA (and Also Mark Kennedy's Last QPR Game: Crushing Middlesbrough)
- Ex-QPR Youth Goalie, Liam O'Brien Makes England U-19 Debut
- In Praise of Protesting Fans
- Amit Bhatia Lengthy Interview


Forty-Three Years Ago Today

Sporting Life - Sporting Life - WARNOCK AIMS FOR PREMIER LEAGUE
By Andy Sims, Press Association Sport

-Neil Warnock has set his sights on reaching the Premier League with QPR after being unveiled as the new manager at Loftus Road.
- Warnock quit Crystal Palace on Monday to move from south to west London with Rangers in danger of being sucked into the relegation battle.
- The 61-year-old becomes the club's fifth manager of the season but, following Flavio Briatore's departure as chairman, is hoping his arrival will herald a new era of stability.
- Warnock, who has signed a three-and-a-half-year deal, said: "It's something I didn't envisage over the last couple of years but this has always been a great football club.
- "Although I thought the contract was three and a half weeks!
- "Stability has not been around this club for a while but it's the right challenge at the right time for me. All I want is a chance.
- "I want to stabilise this season and then take the club on. Everyone knows I want to manage in the Premier League and I don't think there are many clubs coming in for me."
- New chairman Ishan Saksena is keen to steer the club away from the revolving door of managers under Briatore.
- "QPR has a history of being a family club so I want to welcome Neil as the latest member of the QPR family," he said.
- "It is important to bring back stability - he will bring that back and lead the way in a bright future for the club.
- "He is the complete package as a manager and was always our number one choice."Sporting Life


QPR Official Site - WARNOCK CONFERENCE SOUND BITES
- After QPR Manager Neil Warnock met the press this afternoon (Thursday) for the very first time, www.qpr.co.uk brings you up to speed with what the new gaffer had to say to the local, national and international media at the Club's Harlington Training Complex.

NW on Crystal Palace departure...

"It was a special time for me at Crystal Palace, but it's another challenge for me now.

"We were very unfortunate at Palace, only one administrator came is as everybody else turned it down.

"They've got a very good compensation fee for me. There comes a time when you have to put your family first."

NW on becoming Manager of QPR...

"Becoming Manager of QPR is something that I've never envisaged over the past few years. It's always been a great, traditional Football Club.

"I wanted to come to somewhere steady, which was most important for me and my family. I've got three-and-a-half years to try and build the Club and move forward.

"It had all the ingredients for me."

NW on Loftus Road and the QPR fans...

"I've always loved the ground, the fans are right on top of you. It's my type of atmosphere and my teams seem to thrive on it.

"I'm looking forward to working with the QPR fans, whenever I've come down it's been a fantastic atmosphere at Loftus Road."

NW on the challenge ahead...

"It's an exciting prospect. When I met Ishan Saksena and Amit Bhatia, right from the start I believed these two guys knew what they wanted.

"I want to get my whole life now geared into taking the Club forward, stabilising this season and then take the Club on as best as I can - everyone knows I want to manage in the Premier League before I retire.

"It's not what's happened in the past, it's what happens in the future." QPR


Gianni Paladini Speaks! - Ealing Gazette/Paul Warburton - I call the shots, says new QPR boss Neil Warnock
- NEIL Warnock has insisted he – and he alone – will choose new recruits at Loftus Road.
- As part of the three-and-a-half year contract that brings the 61-year-old to west London, Warnock has dispensed with the services of sporting director Gianni Paladini, who last night quit the defunct role to become chairman of QPR Co Ltd.
- Paladini played the major role in signing the 100-plus players that pulled on the hoops during the last six years – but admitted he was glad to hand the reins over to Warnock.
- He said: "Neil wanted it that way, and I believe it will be good for QPR. There will be not one moment of interference from the board who have allowed him free rein to do as he wishes.
- "The buck stops with the manager, and that’s as it should be."
- Paladini was heavily criticised by fans for bringing in players that sees Rangers hovering just above the Championship drop-zone – but also took flak for being closely associated with the former regime headed by chairman Flavio Briatore that got through 11 changes of management since John Gregory was sacked in October 2007.
Ealing Gazette

- Meanwhile: Gianni Paladini a No Go Go? - Gianni Paladini till 2013? (Messageboard claims) [Flashback to the original QPR Official Site Headline: "Ugo a Go Go"


PFA/Give Me Football
Taylor questions wisdom of Warnock’s London switch
Neil Warnock has made a career out of proving people wrong
By Mark Shail March 04, 2010


Former England manager Graham Taylor believes Neil Warnock has ‘jumped straight out of one fire and into another’ by leaving Crystal Palace to join QPR.

A compensation package with the cash-strapped Eagles was agreed earlier this week and the 61-year-old has signed a three-and-a-half year deal at Loftus Road.

But Taylor wrote in his newspaper column in the Daily Express: “What is it with Neil Warnock? He is no fool but why Queens Park Rangers, who don’t have a manager’s office, more a revolving door?

“He is the 10th manager in two-and-a-half years. I like Neil and I get on with him. That will surprise a few people but it’s been the case ever since his days of manager of Burton Albion and he sold me a young Richard Jobson during my first spell at Watford some 25 years ago.

“What I did learn about him, though, was to keep out of his way when our teams met. Talk about a changed personality on match days. On match days I did put Neil on the top of my list marked – ‘Opposing managers to avoid’.

“So I ask again, why join QPR? Obviously his position at Crystal Palace has to be under threat due to the club being placed in administration. But he seems to have jumped straight out of one fire and into another.

“Neil is good at fighting a cause. In fact, I think he relishes the kind of challenge that many other managers fear in case it has an adverse effect on their CV. He reads it the other way round. That he will sort it – and the affect on his career will be a positive one.

“I read that he has signed a three-and-a-half year contract. Bearing in mind the average stay for a manager at QPR since John Gregory was dismissed in October 2007 is just short of four months, those three-and-a-half years look like an eternity.”
Find out what Neil Warnock has to say about the latest chapter in his colourful career later here on Givemefootball. Give Me Football



QPR Official Site - WARNOCK: LET’S STICK TOGETHER
Posted on: Thu 04 Mar 2010

Neil Warnock is relishing taking his place in the home dug-out at Loftus Road this Saturday afternoon and believes the R's fans willl play a pivotal role between now and the end of the season.

Speaking exclusively to 'Hoops' - in a must-read matchday programme column this weekend - the new Rangers boss issued a rallying cry to the QPR faithful.

"I know fans either love me or hate me, but all I ask of you - the QPR fan-base - is that you get behind me and the team and help make Loftus Road a fortress once again," he said.

"You really can be our twelfth man and the support of the Super Hoops will play a massive role in my time here.

"Even when the chips are down, you need to stick with us and show your undying support.

"After the turbulent times, let's try and look to the future and get everybody singing off the same hymn sheet."

*You can read more of Neil Warnock's exclusive thoughts in Saturday's Mike Keen tribute programme. Available in and around the ground for just £3, 'Hoops' really is a must-read on matchdays. QPR


South London Press - Palace boss Hart: My QPR spell has helped Warnock
Thursday, 04 March 2010 By Richard Cawley


NEW Crystal Palace boss Paul Hart says that his 28-day spell in charge at QPR has helped new Loftus Road boss Neil Warnock.

Warnock quit the Eagles on Monday to accept a three-and-a-half-year deal at Loftus Road.

And in an ironic twist, Hart has accepted a short-term deal at Palace to replace him.

[b]"My leaving QPR has finally allowed them to develop a structure which is conducive to proper management,” said Hart, who was at the west London club for just five matches.

"I blame myself because I knew before I went in what the story was - but you always think it’s going to be different. [/b]

“I’ve had difficulties at the clubs I’ve been at but I’ve still got the desire and I’m enthusiastic. I’m not as in your face as some people might like but I work hard where it counts - out on the training pitch. I try and prepare teams properly and I like winning."
Don't miss the full interview with Hart in tomorrow's South London Press. South London Press


Portsmouth News/Neil Allen - Watch out Jamo! Liam's Pompey's latest talent
FINANCIAL uncertainty continues to grip Fratton Park - but at least on the goalkeeping front there is plenty to be optimistic about.
And in terms of Pompey's future, it's a precious ray of sunshine piercing the gathered gloom.

This week Liam O'Brien became the Blues' second England international keeper.

The 18-year-old made his under-19 debut as a second-half substitute in Tuesday night's friendly in Holland.

For O'Brien, it's the culmination of two year's hard work since arriving at the club's academy via QPR.

He is from a Pompey goalkeeping pool which already contains England number one David James.

Until January, it also featured another home-grown talent in Bosnia-Herzegovina number two Asmir Begovic.

The man responsible for honing O'Br-ien and Begovic before him is Dave Coles, one of football's most highly-regarded goalkeeping coaches.

Since arriving from Southampton four-and-half-years ago, Coles has transformed the department.

The result is there for all to see, both domestically and internationally.

And he believes his latest protege O'Brien has every chance of making it right the way to the very top.

He said: 'Liam is still in the early stages of development as far as I am concerned.

'But he has a lot of attributes and is someone I think can go a long, long way.

'He's been working with me since August and his attitude has improved since coming across from the Academy.

'Basically it was decided he would be better suited to working with myself and the senior pros – Asmir Begovic, David James, Jamie Ashdown and Antti Niemi – and picking up good habits.

'We felt he had lost his way a little bit in the Academy and needed a kick up the backside to kick him into reality.

'I think he's improved no end – and obviously the England scouts also share that view.

'We've put in some hard work together. I am not saying it's been a bed of roses and we have crossed bridges a number of times, although not come to blows.

'But he's learned who is the student and who is the leader and I am pleased with the way things are going.

'He's certainly got a fantastic amount of ability but in my eyes he's still a baby and still has a long, long way to go.

'Liam is certainly going to be one for the future and it's just about making sure you dot the i's and cross the t's and ensuring he is ready to accept the challenges and show what a good prospect he is going to
be.'

O'Brien has played eight times for the Academy this season, his form also earning him two call-ups to the reserves.

In January, he lined-up for Guy Whittingham's side in the 1-1 draw at West Ham – the last time the reserves played.

Pompey are certainly well blessed in that department, with Ashdown and former Finland number one Niemi also on their books.

In addition, Jon Stewart recently returned to train with the club following a spell abroad after leaving at the end of last season.
Begovic was another training ground fixture until last month when he departed in a controversial £3.25m switch to Stoke.

Not bad for a player who initially arrived on a two-week trial six-and-a-half years ago.

Coles remains the constant, well-respected by his peers and the author of several books and DVDs on the subject of goalkeeping.

He added: 'I think the goalkeeping department this year has been one of the best I have ever worked with.

'We have two England keepers and other good keepers in Ashdown and Niemi.

'It's tremendous for Pompey and something I am really proud of in terms of what I have achieved.

'Like everyone else, I set myself goals and targets. I fulfilled the one about having England's number one a long time ago.

'David James made that dream come true.

'Now I have England's under-19 keeper too – and I'm absolutely overjoyed.' Portsmouth News

- Also: Liam O'Briend Makes England U-19 Debut


Sunday Mercury - Revealed: How Liverpool snared wonderkid
Mar 4 2010

Liverpool are giving 15-year-old sensation Raheem Sterling a stunning contract worth £300,000 to join them from QPR.

The Kop outfit have pushed out the boat for the England youth star who is already rated the 'next big thing' after his appearances for club and country.

Attacking midfielder Sterling chose to go to Anfield for football reasons, but his financial package is a stunner for a player of his age.

As a schoolboy Sterling will only be able to earn the basic low wage, but part of the Kop contract includes a three-year 'pro' contract when he turns 17.

And Sterling's 'camp' will be given a giant signing on fee, worth around £200,000 and spread over the length of his deal at Liverpool until 2014. He is going into their academy in a major coup.

Liverpool are paying QPR a guaranteed £500,000 with further installments based on the time Sterling spends with them - and his eventual breakthrough to the first team.

The deal is potentially the biggest for a player of his age and was decided without going to a tribunal. Sterling told Rangers he wanted to leave and would not sign any long contract with them.

Sterling's decision left both Manchester cubs, Arsenal and Fulham upset. All of them had tried to do a deal but found it hard to agree fees and terms with all of the parties involved.

City are fuming at the result. Their offer of £1 million was higher than any rival bidder but the youngster fancied Liverpool instead" Sunday Mercury

Blog Archive