QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, November 27, 2010

QPR Report Saturday Snippets: Cardiff Today and Flashbacks...Warnock's Weekly Perspective...Bernie Ecclestone Update

-


-
- For QPR and Football Updates and perspectives throughout the day, visit the QPR Report Messageboard. All QPR and football perspective welcome...Also Follow: QPR REPORT ON TWITTER
____________________________________________________________________________________

- Bernie Ecclestone Update.
Update and Photo re the mugging of QPR co-owner, Bernie Ecclestone. (The attack on Ecclestone came just days after reports of an attack on the wife of QPR FC Chairman, Gianni Paladini in her home. reports I and follow-up report. There have been no reported additional developments thus far)



- CARDIFF TODAY - Previews, Stats, Flashbacks and old videos (including QPR 3 Cardiff 0

- QPR vs Cardiff Livestreamed

- Flashback Report: QPR 0 Cardiff 4

- RODNEY MARSH (BOOK) SIGNING AT LOFTUS ROAD, Today

- Another QPR Record to aim for: Least League Defeats in a Season

- Leon Jeanne Joins Bath City

- Chris Wright Sells Chrysalis

- Nice Burnley Site Profiles of Ex-QPR Players Who Played for Burnley including Dave Thomas and Leighton James

- Two Year Flashback: Gary Borrowdale Joins QPR

- Also Two years ago: After a few days of limbo, Heidar Helguson again confirmed as QPR player

- Eleven Year Flashback: Sammy Koejoe Joins QPR (reportedly based on a video)

- Warnock Offers to Help Plymouth if he can

- Old Football Grounds

- Scottish Football Cancelled as Refs Strike - and "hired" foreign refs in doubt

- Bolton's 35 Million Pound and mass debt examined (Update)


CHRIS CHARLES WEEKLY BLOG
THE CHRIS CHARLES BLOG 17
"...As Wills and Kate announced their big day at Westminster, the current Princes of Wales were preparing for a battle royal in West London.
Queens Park Rangers are the hosts as Cardiff come to town for a meeting of the Championship's top two on Saturday - and if they're both still there come April 29, it could be cause for a triple celebration.
In the latest round of the gentlemen's excuse me, Cardiff surrendered top spot following a surprise home defeat by Nottingham Forest, which included another Lewis McGugan special, while QPR saw off bottom club Preston 3-1, helped by another pair of crackers from Adel Taarabt.
The mercurial Moroccan has been on fire this season, but there's clearly still a cultural gap between him and manager Neil Warnock, who said: "I met his uncle, brother and best mate this week. I suppose they all went off and smoked one of those big, long pipes. If he gets two goals I don't mind what he does, as long as it's not illegal!"

For the second successive season I was absent for Taarabt's Preston masterclass, choosing instead to go to a fancy dress party where I sprayed my hair pink with some 'washout' dye. Six days and 10 attempted washes later, I'm beginning to realise it doesn't do what it says on the tin.
Preston's defeat was their third in a row and left one fan on the messageboards clutching at straws as he pointed out: "We might not get beat next week - the game might get called off because of the snow!"
Cardiff strikerJay Bothroyd is probably secretly hoping for a similar result after tweeting on Thursday: "Soooooo cold today - somebody knocked my gloves so had to wear socks on my hand!" Knocked them where, exactly? ...
Football League


Independent - Neil Warnock: Ref should have nipped Real's mischief in the bud by using the 18th law: common sense
What I Learnt This Week

Referees have been in the news this week, what with the strike in Scotland, the terrible decision Arsenal suffered in Portugal, and an investigation launched into suggestions that two of Jose Mourinho's players got themselves sent off deliberately so they could start the Champions League knockout stage with a clean slate.


To me that was a classic example of what is going wrong with refereeing these days. I'm not disputing they know the 17 laws back to front, but too many appeared to have forgotten the unwritten, 18th: common sense. Surely the ref had done his homework and knew which players were close to suspension. Even if he hadn't, it's on the team sheet at Champions League games, so he could hardly miss it.

So when Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos started wasting time he should have realised what was going on. After all, Real Madrid were 4-0 up with a few minutes left, no team in that position needs to waste time. He should have said to them, with a smile, "I know what you're doing, you can take all night but you're not going off. I'll just keep adding on time." Instead he does it by the book and the players achieve their aim, allegedly.

Of late there are quite a few referees who have got 98 per cent of their decisions right, but the major ones wrong. I believe the issue is that referees are coached by ex-referees who had the same problem, so they should think about bringing in someone who has played the game, because with those big decisions that experience can be so vital.

The ref in Braga is presumably a top official, he's doing Champions League matches. He was in a good position too, so how did he not realise Carlos Vela had been fouled. Instead he's booked for diving, Arsenal concede two late goals, and to top off a woeful night they lose Cesc Fabregas and Emmanuel Eboué to injury. Hopefully, they will beat Partizan to go through.

The most baffling refereeing performance of the week came much closer to home. When two of my old clubs met last weekend, Sheffield United and Crystal Palace, young Anthony Taylor gave decisions which I couldn't believe. He went from one bad decision to another. Unfortunately for Palace, they were on the receiving end of most. They did get a dubious penalty, but then had one given against that was just perplexing. It was too much for Owen Garvan, who was booked twice within a few seconds for dissent and therefore sent off. I imagine the red card was quite correct in law, but if the ref had done his job right there would not have been any dissent. Palace then went in front with 10 men, only for the linesman to compound Taylor's embarrassment by allowing Sheff U an 84th-minute equaliser that was well offside. No one could complain about Sheffield's winning penalty, but the damage was done by then.

I'm sure he didn't mean it, but when the officials walked off at the end I was so disappointed at the smugness Anthony showed, it was almost as if he enjoyed the abuse he was receiving. I do believe referees should become a little more humble on occasions like that. In fairness to Anthony, I thought he had done quite well this season prior to Saturday.

2. Day's training with QPR is worth its salt for Darryl

On Thursday I entertained Darryl Lee who won a day's training with me in The Independent's Christmas auction, and a friend of his Gary Louis. It's taken a while to fix up, but while I've moved clubs since last Christmas that wasn't a problem as Darryl wasn't a Palace fan, or a QPR one. He probably wished we had done it earlier when he arrived at our training ground, though. As anyone who has been there on a cold day will know, it can be absolutely perishing with the wind blowing across a load of open fields. As the picture shows, I was determined to get wrapped up. No shorts on this day.
It was interesting for Darryl to see how we plan the training, then watch Keith Curle and myself put it into practice. We finished off having a meal fit for a king – I have to say the training ground chef is unbelievable. He came into my press conference too. I'm sure they both enjoyed it and it was all for a good cause. Last year's charities were Action Aid, Computer Aid International, and Peace Direct, all of which do good work around the world. I'm hoping to make the same offer at this year's charity auction, so prepare your bids; it's a great present for anyone.

The one downside is that Darryl is a qualified ref and he tried to put me in my place on a couple of things. Not that I minded, and I'm sure he didn't notice the salt I tipped on his meal when he weren't looking.

3. Poor Sam: Venky's put style points above Rovers' return

I had to smile when I read a comment by the chairwoman of Venky's, the poultry company who have just taken over at Blackburn Rovers. Anuradha Desai said: "I need to speak to the manager soon and tell him the fans' opinions are very important. We should go up in the ranking, but playing well is not just about winning, the way we play is vital." I do so hope that Sam takes it on board.

4. Amy on fire at netball and Will really knows his history

Amy won two games of netball this week, but the big news is that William did brilliant at history and maths in his tests. I won't, though, be asking Will to read a map for me after his geography result.

Sharon and Will have been going out after school, getting a sausage roll and a drink and having a picnic in the car. They tell me they have been having a great time, so on Thursday I joined them. We had a sausage, cheese and bean slice, some juice and coffees. We sat outside with the car heater on having our snack. I thought: "If anyone sees us here now, what will they think? Soccer at the top, eh?"

I needed a coffee because the night before was the first night of the Ashes. I stopped watching at 1.30am with two wickets down. I knew it was time to turn off after I only saw one ball in four overs. Every time I woke up they were changing ends. William woke us up in the morning and we switched on. I heard the commentator say, "Three balls to go." I said, "Good, we're still batting." Then I realised it were Australia at the crease.

5. Cardiff strikers present stiff test but it may be tights game

Today sees a full house at Loftus Road as we entertain Cardiff City, who are right behind us in second. Everybody asks is the result a defining moment? I don't see it like that. I feel both teams can go out to try and win. Cardiff's attacking players – Chopra, Bothroyd, Bellamy, Whittingham, Koumas and Burke – are the envy of many a Premier League side but we've done well defensively so it will be a great test. I've a lot of time for Cardiff and I'm really looking forward to the game. My message to the players will be simple: go and enjoy it.

I'm not looking forward to the weather, though. The last forecast I saw predicted two inches of snow and freezing temperatures. As everyone seems to know, I am still wearing my lucky shorts on the touchline – I even had the binman in Cornwall ask me about them. It has got me thinking about wearing some matching tights, but Sharon's not got any blue ones.

It may – or may not – surprise you to hear I have worn tights in the past. I remember at Crewe we played Halifax at home one night and it was absolutely freezing. Jimmy Robertson, the old Spurs and Ipswich player, said to me: "I'm wearing tights tonight, why don't you? It'll mean you won't have any muscle injuries."

I think it was just after Keith Weller had done the same in a televised game so it was not completely outlandish and I thought, 'why not?' I scored a goal, but then pulled my hamstring. There were only 25 minutes gone. So I've had mixed luck in the past with tights, but they are warm. If you're going to Loftus Road you'll have to keep an eye out to see if I have found a pair to wear. - Independent


- Vote to Select the 2011/2012 Football League Charity

- Donate to QPR GIRLS ONLINE

Npower and the Football League Promotional- There are the Three QPR options to choose between:
RESPECT: Queens Park Rangers striker Heidar Helguson thinks we should put 1,200 young people through a Respect training workshop. PLAYGROUND: Queens Park Rangers wide midfielder Hogan Ephraim wants us to transform a local park or playground into a sport training zone. COACHING:Queens Park Rangers striker Jamie Mackie would rather we run a new skills coaching session for 4–6 year olds - VOTE HERE

Blog Archive