QPR Report Twitter Feed

Saturday, February 11, 2012

QPR Report Saturday: Blackburn...Warnock...Flashbacks ("Must Watch" Video of Venables Free Kick)

-
- LIVE CHAT TODAY: QPR - and Blackburn - Fans: Not at the Game? Join in the QPR Report "Live Chat"



- - From the Bushman Photo Archives

-
- Follow QPR REPORT on TWITTER!
-
- QPR REPORT MESSAGEBOARD - Visit the cutting-edge, football-only, QPR Report messageboard

- Visit the truly-fascinating Bushman QPR Photo Archives - QPR's 1971-1972 Season in Photos
_____________________________________________________________________________________


- "Must Watch Video"! Highlights of London Football 1968-1989, including of course some QPR moments. NOT previously available on Video: One of the famed QPR Terry Venables/Gerry Francis Free Kicks of the early 1970s (15 minutes into video].................Also Part II of the Video: London Football 1968-1989


- Next: Blackburn: Past Results/Shared Players/Reports

- Remaining Fixtures: Bottom Six Clubs


- On This Day in Football: February 11...Gary Waddock's QPR Managerial Debut...Birthday for John O'Rourke...The Morgans Get Split Up (Missed by a few days)



MIRROR/David Anderson - Yakubu: I refused to leave Blackburn because they saved my career


Yakubu has revealed he snubbed a January move to QPR because he owed it to Blackburn to stay.

Rangers wanted to buy the Nigeria striker in a double deal with Rovers defender Chris Samba to boost their relegation fight, because of the hi impressive return of 12 goals in 16 league games.

But unlike Samba, who tried to force a move away from Ewood Park, Yakubu says he never contemplated leaving - because the Lancashire club saved his career.

The 29-year-old claims it would have been wrong to go after Rovers threw him a lifeline in August when they rescued him from the wilderness at Everton.

Yakubu claims he wasn’t tempted, even though QPR owner Tony Fernandes’ bags of cash probably give the Londoners a better chance than Blackburn of staying up.

“I didn’t look at it that way,” said the player. “I’m lucky to be here. Blackburn gave me the opportunity to prove myself, so why would I want to leave?

“I decided not to go. I said, 'I don’t want to go.' I wanted to stay here and be part of it. I didn’t want to make any move because I’m happy here.

“They gave me the chance to play in the Premier League again. It’s great to be here. If we could just stay in the league, it would be perfect.”

Yakubu now hopes to continue his red-hot scoring streak against Rangers QPR at Ewood Park on Saturday after completing a three-match ban.

However, he says his goals are not as important as avoiding relegation.

“It’s not just about me scoring goals and if we don’t stay up, my goals will mean nothing,” he said. “The most important thing is that we stay up.

"It’s good to score goals, but the most important thing is that we stay in the Premier League.

“It’s no good trying to be happy scoring goals when you’re not winning. If you score and the team wins, you’re happier than if you score and the team doesn’t win.”

Yakubu recalls how Portsmouth stayed up in their first couple of seasons after winning promotion because of boss Harry Redknapp's man-management.

“When we were struggling, we stayed up because we believed,” said the former Middlesbrough star. “If you believe that you won’t go down, then you’ll be fine. We have to believe we can turn it round.”

Rovers manager Steve Kean is delighted to have his talismanic striker back following last week’s 7-1 mauling at Arsenal and claims Yakubu is as important for him as Demba Ba is for Newcastle.

“Just look at his goals tally,” said Kean. “Newcastle have missed Demba Ba while he was away [with Senegal at the Africa Cup of Nations].

“Now he’s come back in again, looking sharp, and he’s made a difference. We think Yak can do the same for us.”

Team news: Samba and Givet are out, Hoops are short of strikers

Simon Bird's Premier League previews and predictions (Week 25) Mirror


NEIL WARNOCK WEEKLY COLUMN - INDEPENDENT

Remember that movie, Sliding Doors? It was about how the course of life can be shaped by seemingly minor events. In that case it revolved around Gwyneth Paltrow catching – or missing – a London tube train.

Similarly, if Tottenham had been able to agree a fee for Gary Cahill with Bolton at the start of this season, Fabio Capello and John Terry would still be England's manager and captain.

I'd better explain. Back in August, as the close of the transfer window was drawing near, I was trying to buy a centre-half for QPR with Anton Ferdinand and Sebastien Bassong two of the main targets. Bassong would have been a loan, which meant it was slightly easier to complete, but it hinged upon Spurs getting Cahill in, otherwise Harry Redknapp would have been a centre-half short.

As the days ticked by it looked as if Cahill was not moving so I began to focus on Anton. That paid off when Harry called me to say Cahill was not going to happen so we couldn't have Bassong. That was fine by me as I was pleased to get Anton. The rest is all headlines: Anton played against Chelsea in October; an incident occurred which led to Terry being charged; Terry lost the England captaincy once it became clear the case wouldn't be settled until after the Euros; and Fabio resigned.

I imagine Harry was really annoyed when he wasn't able to sign Cahill – but I bet he's happy at the way things worked out now!

I can't knock Capello for coming out and saying he was unhappy at the way things were done, because the FA should have handled it differently and kept him informed instead of doing it while he was in Italy. Knowing he was coming back, surely they could have hung on for a couple of days to make a decision which we all feel in England was an important one, though I'm not sure the Italians feel the armband is that important.

I was still surprised he went but not disappointed. I did an interview with BBC Five Live at about five to seven on Wednesday saying I hoped he went. The next thing I know the FA announces he has. I know some have said we're in chaos but I feel it is an opportunity. I wasn't looking forward to the finals. Make no mistake, we have some quality players – but there wasn't any sense of anticipation. Now they can get Harry in and we can really have a go.

Harry's head and shoulders above everyone else and just what we need. He has experience of dealing with these multi-millionaire players. He'll give them freedom to play within a team structure. And we'll be back to the old days when everyone wants to play, as there'll be humour in the dressing room. There won't be many boring games with him in charge. I can't wait to see the Euros now.

I was chuffed for Harry when I saw the result of the court case. Even knowing he's innocent, he's had to live with that for five years and yet he carried on doing his job so well. It must have cost £8m to bring that case, for less than £100,000 in allegedly unpaid tax.

Once he was cleared Harry became the only person for the England job and I'm sure, having spoken to him over the years, he'll feel it a great privilege to finish his career as national manager. We'll have to go cap in hand to Tottenham's chairman Daniel Levy and hope he'll do the country a favour. Daniel deserves compensation because he has contributed to what Harry has done at White Hart Lane, no more so than in the way he handled Luka Modric last summer. And yes, I do think Harry can do both jobs until the end of the season.

2. Chelsea need Terry to be the talker at the back

If you want to know why Fabio made such a fuss about John Terry you only had to watch Chelsea v Manchester United. I don't think Chelsea would have thrown away a three-goal lead if Terry had been fit to play.

United were fortunate with the second penalty after Danny Welbeck went down because these young lads know how to put their leg out and make sure there is contact. Adam Johnson was another example the day before – and what a guilty interview he gave afterwards when asked about the contact. But that third goal, Terry would have prevented – and I'm not talking about Javier Hernandez getting a free header. If Branislav Ivanovic had gone out to stop Ryan Giggs's cross as if his life depended on it, instead of ambling out and inviting Giggs to cross, then Chelsea would have won. If Terry had been on that pitch he would have been screaming at Ivanovic to close Giggs down, and that is the part you miss about Terry. Everyone knows he is not getting any quicker, but in the way he talks and rallies he is still a major part of the team.

You do need talkers and leaders at the back, which shows how well United are doing to hang in there despite losing Nemanja Vidic, who I think is the best centre-half in the country.

How about Arsenal? Less than a fortnight ago I was doing the FA Cup game against Aston Villa for ESPN and the fans were slaughtering Arsène. They have since scored 10 goals and conceded one. If I were Chelsea I would be concerned about them hitting this run. How many times in the past have Arsenal been written off and sneaked into the Champions League positions? And I do think they have more goals in the team than Chelsea. But they do need to keep Robin van Persie fit.

That is not, by the way, a dig at Fernando Torres. I thought he contributed a lot to Chelsea last week and one thing I like about him is that he is not hiding at all. He wants that ball every time, and that takes some guts with the criticism he is getting. I know people will say he's on 150 grand a week, or whatever it is, and so he should, but when he goes on the field he's not interested in money, only showing he can get back to the form of Liverpool days.

Manchester United are in the big game again this weekend, against Liverpool, and I just hope we can focus on the football and not the handshake. We should scrap the whole ritual. United are favourites but Liverpool have a habit of pulling out a result this year when people don't expect it. They will be delighted to have Luis Suarez back.

3. Best time to hit the ice cream? When it snows

What did we do in the snow last Sunday? We had an ice cream. It wasn't so much fun on Saturday night though, as I found myself caught in a snowstorm on the M4. The journey took hours and at one point I thought I would have to stop at a service station and spend the night there. My car is useless in those conditions so I decided to tag along to a lorry. When he went out to overtake I knew I had to go with him as if I didn't, and ended up stopping, I'd never start it again.

I finally made it to Richmond, and got stuck on a hill with my wheels spinning. Some guys helped me get it going again, which left me one last hill before home. It has traffic lights, so I had to wait for them to change and make a run at it.

The following day it all looked lovely, though, and Will and I built a snowman. Then we went into Richmond and, because it seemed the obvious thing to do, went to Gelateria Danieli, the best ice cream shop I have ever known (it's run by Italians, obviously). They must have 25 flavours. I had Christmas pudding flavour and rum and raisin flavours, Sharon pistachio, and Will chocolate brownie. I suppose it would have been nicer sitting in the sun by the green, but needs must, beggars can't be choosers, etc.

4. Ah, the delights of family life and dieting

On Monday I watched William having a golf lesson. It is amazing to see how easily kids of today pick things up. He actually swings a club like a golfer should. I used to swing it like a cricketer – but then, I played a lot of cricket as a boy and didn't pick up a club until I was in my twenties.

We're all going swimming today. We've not been for a while and I will have to get some new trunks. I had a shock on Tuesday when I took Sharon for afternoon tea at the Connaught – I thought I'd better get some credit in while I'm not working – and I inadvertently tried to put on the wrong jeans. I thought I must have been ill, as I had about three inches spare. "They're your old ones," said Sharon, "from before you dieted." I couldn't believe it.

Maybe I need to find that woman at the dry cleaners who over the last few years has let out nearly every pair of my trousers – and ask her to take them in again. Independent




ROMONE ROSE UPDATE - South Wales Argus/Michael Pearlman
Exiles’ new Rose is ready to bloom


Saturday 11th February 2012

THERE are few better ways to ingratiate yourself with your new supporters than by belting home a wonder goal on your debut, but County winger Romone Rose is promising the Spytty Park faithful that they haven’t seen anything yet.

The former Queens Park Rangers flyer admits he doesn’t want to hang around at Conference level for too long, but is determined to shine at Newport and impress enough to make a return to the Football League.

And on first impressions you wouldn’t bet against it after Rose scored a quite stunning debut goal in Tuesday’s 4-0 FA Trophy win over Carshalton Athletic.

“As soon as I came on I was looking to make my mark and scoring a goal like that should help,” he said.

“The goal I scored is certainly up there with my best and I would say it’s in the top three I have ever scored.”

The 22-year old is part of a growing core of young players at Spytty Park and while admitting he sees County as a stepping stone, Rose is confident the Exiles are on the right track and was desperate to join Justin Edinburgh’s revolution.

“A move to Newport County came about because I knew a few of the lads already at the club and they said I should come down and check the place out,” he continued. “Ryan Charles had a word on my behalf with the gaffer and he invited me to training. He liked the look of me, I proved myself so they signed me and I was thrilled to come here.

“I was out in Thailand but I thought that it wasn’t going to do much to develop my game or enhance my reputation. I enjoyed it out there, but I wanted to come back to the English game even if I had to start out in the lower leagues and work my way back up.

“There is a lot of quality here and we shouldn’t be battling against relegation with the quality we have here, surely not. We should be up there fighting to go up and we aren’t playing like a team fighting relegation.

“I had been at QPR since I was 14 and my aim is to get back up the leagues. You have to aim high. I believe I am good enough to play in the Championship or higher but I need to prove that with Newport.”

Manager Justin Edinburgh confirmed that Rose has fitted in nicely at County but the player himself confesses that moving to Wales isn’t quite the adventure he is used to.

“I came here after a spell in Thailand, at Robbie Fowler’s club Muangthong United, and it’s a bit different to Newport to be fair, playing in Thailand,” he joked.

“I lived about 30 minutes outside of Bangkok and it was completely unique in terms of the culture. I think experiencing that will make me a better player, it makes me more focused on making my mark in the English game because it was very up and down out there.

“The standard of football in Thailand is excellent, I would compare it to maybe Champion-ship level over here.

“The heat was obviously quite novel. In many ways it was a great experience, especially working with Robbie Fowler and playing abroad has helped me to grow up.”

Rose is hopeful of a start at Stockport today and believes the hosts will be surprised by new look County if the match goes ahead after an 8.45am pitch inspection.

“We have a good core of young players and that is important, we have everything to prove and nothing to fear. I think the youngsters the gaffer has got in are adjusting well. I think it’s positive that he is building the team around players with pace and power and we head into every game now with confidence.” South Wales Argus


- Newcastle vs QPR - FA Youth Cup: Newcastle Won - Match Reports

- Nice Piece how well Ian Holloway is Doing this season at Blackpool

- Portsmouth set for Administration again

- For Fifty Pounds: Chance to Name a Stadium (whatever you like) for a year


- World's Richest Clubs: (QPR Not Included) - Deloitte's Annual Report - .... The Money League: Chart ...Read Entire Report

- Alberti Italian Update

- West Ham's New Signing Reported Homophobic Rant/Tweet

- Football Aid 2012 – Play at Loftus Road. And Help Charity!

- QPR and the Other 19 Premiership Clubs Sign Sports Charter Against Homophobia (Don't think been a separate QPR Announcement re this)

- Change at QPR Holdings...New Name Associated with the Mittals, Sudhir Maheshwari appointed

Blog Archive